European (www.girlwithgreencard.blogspot.com), sort of tagged me with this. I've seen this a lot of other places. Since a lot of my all time favorite books are on this list, I thought I'd give it a whirl.
*Look at the list of books below.
*Bold the ones you’ve read.
*Italicize the ones you want to read.
1. The Da Vinci Code
2. Pride and Prejudice
(Jane Austen)I've always meant to read some Austen...
3. To Kill a Mockingbird
(Harper Lee)I never understood why this wasn't required reading in my school.
4. Gone With the Wind
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the Kind
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
8. Anne of Green Gables
(Diana Gabaldon) I've read the whole series...TWICE....so far. I ADORE Gabaldon!!!
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
12. Angels and Demons
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)NEVER!! Irving sucks!
15. Memoirs of a Geisha
(Arthur Golden)LOVED the movie!
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
17. Fall on Your Knees
(Ann-Marie MacDonald) I'm so ashamed to admit that I read this! Easily the biggest work of CRAP I've EVER read!!
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban
(Rowling)My favorite in the series. I loved that Harry found someone to love him!
20. Jane Eyre
(Charlotte Bronte) Jane was SME's first stage role.
21. The Hobbit
22. The Catcher in the Rye
(J.D. Salinger)Candace and I totally agree on this one. BLECH! WHY this was required reading in my high school, is beyond me!
23. Little Women
(Louisa May Alcott) I read ALL of Alcott's works in grade school. Priceless!
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
(Douglas Adams)Yes, I was the ONLY person in my high school to not read this book. I was stubborn.
27. Wuthering Heights
28. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
(C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden
(John Steinbeck) BLECH! I'm not a Steinbeck fan.
30. Tuesdays with Morrie(Mitch Albom)
32. The Notebook
33. Atlas Shrugged
(Ayn Rand) So did I.
35. The Mists of Avalon
(Marion Zimmer Bradley)The Authurian legend from a woman's perspective. I LOVE this topic, but I've read better versions.
36. The Pillars of the Earth
(Ken Follett) FANTASTIC!
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True(Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear
(Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner
(Khaled Hosseini) I hadn't heard of this until I read about it on Toby's blog. Now I'm fascinated.
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
Various authors)Yes, I've read the WHOLE thing at least once.
46. Anna Karenina
(Tolstoy) I've meant to read some Tolstoy since high school. Maybe I'll get "round tuit" someday.
47. The Count of Monte Cristo
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath
(John Steinbeck)Still don't like Steinbeck!
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) Not in THIS lifetime!! SME and L enjoyed it though.
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations
(Dickens)My least favorite Dickens novel. Would somebody PLEASE bitch-slap Pip?!
55. The Great Gatsby
(Fitzgerald) Fitgerald ranks right up there with Steinbeck.
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid's Tale
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) Life's too short!
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) One Rand was enough for me.
63. War and Peace
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) The movie was disturbing to me, so I think I'll skip this one.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
69. Les Miserables
70. The Little Prince
(Antoine de Saint-Exupery) Do I get extra points for having read this in French too?
71. Bridget Jones' Diary
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
(James Clavell) One of my all time FAVORITES!! A must read for students of Japanese history!
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden
(Frances Hodgson Burnett) Isn't this EVERY little girl's favorite?
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
(Betty Smith) I liked the movie better.
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving) How many times do I have to say NO?
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte's Web
(E.B. White) How many times did we read this to you SME? I still insist that this book turned her vegan.
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice and Men
(Steinbeck) I can't help it; Steinbeck was required reading in high school.
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) I LOVE Du Maurier, but this isn't one of her best. It beats the hell out of My Cousin Rachel though.
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down
(Richard Adams) SME and L loved this one. I wasn't impressed.
87. Brave New World
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
0. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies
(Golding) A MASTERPIECE!! This SHOULD have been required reading in my high school!
93. The Good Earth(Pearl S. Buck) Another of my favorites! A must read for anyone who wants to understand the Chinese psyche! I also loved The Dragon Seed
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders
(S.E. Hinton)SME was in a stage version of this too.
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)