Sunday, November 30, 2008

MY Time of Year!

It's officially the Christmas season at our house!

The love, and well-being of Thanksgiving led to a 2-day flurry of Christmas decorating. The weather even cooperated by giving us a 2 inch cover of snow on Thanksgiving Day. Last night we sat in the glow of candlelight and Christmas lights in our living room. Peace on Earth reigns in our home, if nowhere else. Isn't that what home should be, a refuge from the rest of the world?

This season I will be sharing recipes, craftiness, and gift ideas that have always made our Christmases special.

The above picture is of a decoration that Z made in 2nd grade. Z's 2nd grade teacher was a crafting genius. Many of our favorite decorations were lovingly crafted by Z under this teacher's tutelage. Thank you Mrs. M! If you're wondering what the small children in your life can give to their parents or grandparents, this reindeer is a sure hit.

Memory Reindeer:
Trace your child's stockinged foot on a piece of stiff brown paper(If you don't have construction paper, a brown-paper shopping bag will work)

Have your child trace each of their hands onto the same kind of paper.

Cut out the shapes, and glue the hand "antlers" to the foot-shaped head.

Glue, or draw, a face on the reindeer.

Voila! You now have a keepsake Christmas decoration made from your child's foot and handprints....so PRECIOUS!

Make sure to have your child sign and date the back of their reindeer.

I don't know about your families, but my family LOVES leftover turkey! I always buy the biggest bird I can find, just so we have tons of luscious leftovers. This year, with our questionable economy, I also bought a second turkey when the price dropped to $.67/lb. If we run out of turkey leftovers this winter, I will roast this turkey. If not, I'll smoke it on the grill this spring.
Here's a quick, and nutritious, leftover turkey recipe:

Turkey Stir-Fry(Serves 4)
2 C leftover turkey, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1-2 C leftover gravy(just enough to lightly coat the veggies)
4-5 C of your favorite stir-fry veggies:broccoli, cauliflower, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, julienned carrots, pea pods, asparagus, bok-choy, spinach...whatever your family likes, or you have laying around.
fresh garlic, or garlic powder, to taste
a few squirts of soy sauce

Stir-fry the veggies in your favorite oil with fresh garlic, or a few sprinkles of garlic powder.(Don't use garlic salt in this recipe, unless you like a lot of saltiness.)
When the veggies are tender, but still crisp, add the gravy and turkey.
Stir constantly, until gravy is hot, and the mixture is evenly coated with gravy.
Add a few squirts of soy sauce to taste.

Serve over rice.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 11/30/2008 10:52 AM, Blogger Jeannie said...

What a cute reindeer! Alas, my children are grown - I suppose they might let me trace their hands and feet anyway...

Americans make much of Thanksgiving & the turkey - what is traditional at Christmas? We do turkey at both but our Thanksgiving is so much earlier. I also do turkey at Easter because we don't like ham.

Gary always make soup with the carcass. Stirfrys work for me with leftovers but, depending on how much gravy we get, we like hot turkey sandwiches, turkey pie, stew and lots of cold sandwiches too.

 
At 11/30/2008 12:39 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

That is a great stirfry idea, actually, because there is always plenty of leftover gravy after a meal isn't there? At least that seems to be the case over this way. I hate to chuck it. Looking forward to your upcoming posts!

 
At 11/30/2008 2:21 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Jeannie, we'd need a HUGE piece of paper to trace our kids hands and feet now. ;)

We have turkey at Christmas too, at my parents' house, so they get the leftovers. Easter we vary, ham, pork loin, turkey, and even prime rib if the price is right.

I always make soup from the carcass too. This carcass will make our traditional turkey noodle soup on Christmas Eve.

L doesn't like hot sandwiches, but we all LOVE turkey pie. We froze enough gravy w/turkey to make 4 large turkey pies. I often use leftover pork roast and gravy for pie too.

WC, our 22 lb turkey yielded about a gallon of gravy. Not one drop of that gravy goes to waste here.

 
At 11/30/2008 2:22 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

We love the leftover Turkey even more than the original meal. I'm fixing to make a turkey salad wrap right now - using Mission brand low-carb tortillas, of course!

The stir fry sounds very interesting - I think I might try it.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

 
At 11/30/2008 3:06 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Grizz, I'm happy to see that my blogfriends are turkey lovers too! Most of the people I know are shocked when I tell them I always buy a 20-25lb bird. They can't imagine what I do with all the leftovers.

Turkey wraps sound wonderful! I'll have to try that.
The stir-fry is pretty low-carb, if you don't eat the rice.

 
At 11/30/2008 10:20 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sounds good but Jeff doesnt like stir fry.. He is a picky eater.. We always find stuff to eat though.. We are getting 3-5 inches of snow tonight. We are under an advisory.. But glad the decorating is done. I havent put up the tree yet.I am afraid to with the cat this year. I am going to attempt to tomorrow. Lets hope she doesnt want to play with the new balls I just bought.. Yikes..

 
At 12/01/2008 3:27 AM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Heehee. "Rudolf, the Mildly Deranged Reindeer". ;D

 
At 12/01/2008 10:11 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

I LOVE turkey and it is very good for people. Getting ready to get a casserole ready of recycled Thanksgiving - - - need to get off computer!

Will look forward to the Christmas things to do on your posts - I AM in the mood, boy am I!

 
At 12/01/2008 6:16 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, our ornaments have survived 3 puppies and 2 babies. You'll find a way to train Snowy to stay out of the tree.
I'm hoping that we don't get more snow before our snowblower gets out of the shop.

SME, knowing your brother, he probably made him deranged-looking on purpose. ;)

Gardenia, turkey is such a versatile, economical meat. I'm just happy that my family likes it as much as I do.
Hang on to that Christmas spirit! It can be a slippery little bugger sometimes. ;)

 
At 12/02/2008 7:58 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I thought about you as Thanksgiving was coming up. I know how much you love these holidays and all of your wonderful decorations!

 
At 12/03/2008 7:17 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Squirl! You're such a SWEETIE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home