Monday, November 03, 2008

Hunkering Down

L and I have a bonus day off today, without pay of course. Our water will be turned off for, at least, 9 hours today. There's no way a restaurant can run that long without water, so here we are.

Our village finally bit the bullet and decided to replace the 360 feet of water line that has been giving us problems this fall. Today is the day they will hook the new line into the system, hence the extended shut down. The new line is 12 inches and the old line is 8 inches. I'm worried that the crumbling old line won't be able to handle the new water pressure, and will rupture further down the line. Time will tell...

I had to work Saturday, so yesterday we did all the chores that required water. I think we're finally ready for winter.
The new porch is caulked, primed, and has one coat of paint.
The porch floor has a protective coat of deck stain.
New lights have been wired both inside and outside of the porch.
The sidewalk is moved to its new location.
The outside windows are washed.
The oil has been changed in the generator, just in case...
4, 5 gal emergency gas cans have been filled. Hooray for $2.39/gal gas!
The lawn mower and rototiller have been replaced by the snowblower.
The garden hose has been drained and stored for the winter.
The AC has been tarped.
The camper has been moved and tarped.
A new dog tie-out post has been cemented into the back yard.
The new cd/dvd shelf unit is finished and installed.

Now, onto the indoor chores!

Today, the guys will wash the inside windows while I hang the new living room drapes. The new drapes have been sitting in the closet for the past 3 years. Why, you ask? Because I was too cheap to spend $80/window on valences. I KNOW that I can find a solid-color material that will go with the drapes. Valences are easy to sew. So WHY haven't I sewed them already? Because once I have the sewing machine set up, I know that I'll have to tackle the 2 HUGE baskets of mending I've been neglecting for the past 3 years, that's why!

15 Comments:

At 11/03/2008 8:27 AM, Blogger C said...

I can SO sympathise with your logic on the sewing thing, LOL!

We're attacking the garage today so we can get a car in for the winter. :-P

 
At 11/03/2008 8:33 AM, Blogger Jeannie said...

I can't get over how much you manage to accomplish. I'd love to have that kind of energy and/or determination.

I love sewing curtains and such - easy peasy - but can't stand mending.

I'm not sure my sewing machine even works now - it's been years.

 
At 11/03/2008 9:04 AM, Blogger VV said...

Your house/chores are so like mine that it isn't even funny. Well here's to a productive day! Good luck with all that.

 
At 11/03/2008 9:39 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Candace, after spending 28 yrs scraping my windshield @ 5:30a.m., L will always make sure the truck will fit in the garage. ;)

Jeannie, I think it's more determination than energy. It seems like no matter how much I accomplish, there's always 10X more waiting for me.

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who hates mending! I am excited about getting my curtains up though.

VV, with the exception of the snowblower, I'll bet. ;)

 
At 11/03/2008 10:30 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Man, you guys never seem to stop, do you? You're all totally incredible!

Word verification: OUNCES. Seriously.

 
At 11/04/2008 9:58 AM, Blogger Cherie said...

Good for you guys for getting it done. Makes you sleep easier at nigh, I'll bett.

I hope the water situation does solve the problem - though your concern over the new pressure is quite valid. Hope the old pipes hold!

The sewing pile - oh, how I understand!!

(The word verification for me: antivert. It just sounds like it should mean something.....ha!)

 
At 11/04/2008 1:23 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Gas is 2.29 here for the time being.. Glad to hear you have gotten alot done. How is your back doing??

 
At 11/04/2008 1:25 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I am with you on the sewing thing. It's hard to do one simple project when you know it means so much more.

I still can't figure out when you guys ever get time to rest.

 
At 11/04/2008 5:04 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

WC, we spend an equal amount of time procrastinating.
I got "moron" over at SME's blog. ;)

Cherie, we always get it done, but we're usually pushing the lawnmower through snow drifts to put it away. This year we actually managed to get it all done before it got cold and snowy. Yay us!

Tweets, my back is finally back to normal...after 2 months! :(

Squirl, sewing to create something is a lot more fun than mending. *sigh*
Right now I'm shooting at finishing the mending before we put up the Christmas tree. Wish me luck....and motivation. ;)

 
At 11/05/2008 10:12 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Barack will heal the old pipes and make them safe - and fix your back, see he did it already! Government cheese!! (I feel ill...)

 
At 11/05/2008 4:39 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

DC, if you'll remember, BOTH of the candidates voted for the infamous "bailout", hence our gov't has no money to fix anything.

I am neither elated nor disappointed by the election results. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

 
At 11/05/2008 7:57 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Totally agree with the sewing thing too, which is why none of my pants buttons are on anymore. Jeannie's right, you have so much energy and organization....I am truly ashamed of me. But admire you guys to pieces!!!

 
At 11/06/2008 4:03 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Thats great to hear... Now only if our gas prices will stay at 2.25 a gallon for the time being.. LOL.. And also good luck on the mending. I am making one of my managers three scarves she wanted crocheted... One green, one black and one a mustard color.. I am hoping gold will do her...

 
At 11/06/2008 9:03 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

LOL, your reasoning behind the sewing tasks is so similar to mine! I have so many clothes I can take up, ifn' I would.....

Wish you were here to help me get a curtain rod on the wall so I could hang the semi-sheers in the newly painted bedroom - - sheesh - I have to wait for an innocent passerby and corner them.

Boy, you guys have been incredibly busy once again.

 
At 11/08/2008 7:37 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Bridg, don't be ashamed; you got a LOT of work done this summer!
Buttons, UGH! Hand sewing is the pits!

Tweets, $2.27/gal here. It would be nice if this lasted through the winter!

Gardenia, I'd love to help you hang those rods!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home