Saturday, June 11, 2005

Specialization Is For Insects

I need to be three places at once! Obviously, I have to work, so there goes 8 exhausting hours a day.

I should be outside working on our house and yard, but this abominable rain prevents this from happening. Yes folks, we do our own carpentry and landscape work. We had a nightmare experience with a contractor 9 yrs ago, and we've been trying to fix the mistakes ever since . This summer's project list includes; residing and reroofing our front porch, painting the front porch, back porch and shed, trying to figure a way to get the friggin' paint to stick to certain areas of the house so we can get a second coat of paint on, and building new doors for the shed and garbage shed. We seriously need to rototill and add fill to certain areas of our yard. Northern MN winters can wreak havoc on your landscape. Areas that were once high, are low, and vice versa. This causes water to accumulate in areas it shouldn't.

The third place I need to be is in the house. Homeschooling is obviously the #1 priority. It seems that this and daily, necessity chores, is all that I accomplish anymore. I guess age is catching up to me. We bought new vinyl tile for our bathrooms 2 yrs ago. We want to paint the bathrooms first, so we don't mess up the new tile. We also need to paint, wainscott, and recarpet the hall. This requires moving 2 floor to ceiling bookcases full of paperback books. The 18 yr old carpet in the living room HAS TO GO! Our entertainment center needs to be reinforced, as it sways from side to side when we dust it. We need a new front door, but they don't make them the right length for our doorway. This means we either buy a prebuilt wood door and cut it off, or build one ourselves; neither option appeals to me. I bought new living room drapes last year, but I haven't had time to shorten them. I also have 2 laundry baskets full of mending. I should cut both Z and L's hair within the next couple of days.

I know that we have the ability to complete all these projects. I also know that we don't have the money to hire any of them done. We've already wasted money once, on hiring it done; no more! All we require is ambition, more time and NO MORE RAIN!! I know that "specialization is for insects", but sometimes I wonder just what kind of bug I'd be.

11 Comments:

At 6/11/2005 5:49 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

A bee?

Isn't owning a house fun? Mrs. Zombieslayer has a list of things that need to be done. Not as big as yours though.

 
At 6/11/2005 7:49 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

What's really aggravating is that you finish a project, just when you're getting good at it!

 
At 6/11/2005 10:58 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh the projects that need doing in our house...it's been going on for years. I really wish Grizzly Papa was handy.

I know how it is with schooling and work - getting just the bare necessities done. Well most of the time anyway. Criminy, feeding them, bathing them and cleaning up the dishes is a full time job in itself! LOL!

Good luck.

 
At 6/12/2005 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't going to love this suggestion: buy a custom-made front door. This might not be prohibitively expensive if you can buy directly online. You have the advantage of being competent to install it yourself. Buying straight from a manufacturer, you might have a price similar to buying a standard one from a place like Home Depot, and then shortening it.

Just a thought. I really know nothing about home repairs or improvements. I admire your versatility! I'm sorry that comes at such a person cost to you, though.

Hang in there!

 
At 6/12/2005 12:26 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Great idea Sage! I'm checking into it.

 
At 6/17/2005 10:39 PM, Blogger Sonja said...

Just take it one day at a time. This website www.flylady.net might help you.

 
At 6/18/2005 12:34 AM, Blogger Ben said...

no kidding about the rain tshsmom! Ugh, enough already.

 
At 6/18/2005 1:23 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Jeez, send some of that rain down here!

working and managing a house and child is frutrating! I think when my nest becomes empty, I'm gonna find a few acres up north and put a tiny 1950's travel trailer on it! Little upkeap, and just enough room for me, the dog, and an occasional grandchild!

 
At 6/18/2005 5:54 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

GWB, I've never understood the empty nesters that build a huge house with tons of upkeep AFTER their kids leave home. You have the right idea: SIMPLICITY!

 
At 6/22/2005 8:28 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

In answer to your question: Worker ant.

 
At 6/23/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

I wanna be QUEEN BEE!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home