Saturday, July 04, 2009

Slow But Sure


I'm trying to cling to the warm/fuzzy feeling created by SME and Doug's glorious visit. We had a fantastic 4 days together even though the 3 of us had to work 2 days out of the 4. We laughed 'til our sides hurt and tears streamed down our cheeks. We hugged, and talked, and ate, and played, and shopped, and relaxed, and then hugged some more. Internet and phone communications are sadly lacking in the hug factor.
This was the first time that L, Z, and I had had FUN since Christmas! 2009 continues to be a year of tragedy for us. This week we lost 2 more friends, one of whom was like a member of our family. A 3rd friend(we grew up across the street from each other) is brain dead from a gunshot wound in the Twin Cities. Apparantly the perps meant to kill my friend's roommate. What are the odds that I have had 2 friends murdered this year?

June was an up and down month for my Dad. Biopsies taken during his colon surgery revealed that he has more cancer and will require chemotherapy. 2 weeks ago, Dad had a stent placed in one of the arteries of his heart. We're hoping that this procedure will give Dad more energy. On the bright side, Dad's latest PSA test was less than 1, .9 to be precise. Dad's urologist was thrilled that his treatments for prostate cancer are going so well. We're hoping that Dad will respond equally well to his chemo treatments, which start on Monday.

Z is now the morning dishwasher/cook's helper at the restaurant. He's doing a great job and Boss appreciates having reliable help for a change. His hours are 8 am-1 pm, Mon-Fri. His hours leave both of us free for homeschooling in the afternoons. This new routine has helped Z's sleep problems immensely. Z is responsibly putting away half of his paycheck every 2 weeks. This still leaves him $70/week to spend on himself, which makes him a very happy kid. I co-signed on a checking account for Z, which gives him a debit card. Now he can place his own online orders and start establishing a credit rating for himself. My baby is growing up way too fast.
I should really write a post about what happened to our former morning dishwasher; her stupidity defies belief.
Here are 2 drawings by my 2 favorite artists: SME and Doug. Doug drew the above picture of L in about 10 minutes. What a gift his talent is!
The bottom picture was doodled by SME. Her cartoons are always a treat to behold!
We're s-l-o-w-l-y troubleshooting the problems with our phone lines. Fortunately, I feed the phone company's repairmen breakfast every morning. We've become friends over the years and they are doing everything in their power to get our system running smoothly.

We were totally without any phone service for 2 days. The repairmen finally fixed that problem by switching "pairs" on our service. This re-instated phone service, but our phone lines still sounded slushy, and our 3meg DSL was running between 28k and 270k, but mostly in the 62k range. My repair guys admitted that this was unacceptable service. The next step was to replace our 2-month-old line filters with a new set of filters. (According to the repair guys, these filters are often faulty.) Changing the filters seemed to solve our problem....until yesterday. Now we're wondering if the phone company's Siemens wireless modem could be the problem. We already know that Siemens makes substandard hearing aids, so maybe...

17 Comments:

At 7/04/2009 1:54 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

So glad you've had a bit of joy in a bad year. The drawings are excellent.

Yay for Z working!

 
At 7/04/2009 10:14 PM, Blogger VV said...

Yeah! The moment I've been waiting for! I thought I might need to give you another call. Glad things are bearable now. Tell Z congrats on the job! Glad SME and Doug were there to bring laughs, love and hugs. I know Pat and I are sending all that to you psychically, but with our brain power, someone in Cleveland is likely to win the lottery about now. Oh well. :-)

 
At 7/05/2009 6:59 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

So very much going on in your life right now. Sending warm, loving thoughts your way. :-)

 
At 7/06/2009 3:48 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

This. Is. Wonderful.

You guys deserve to have some relaxing fun together. I love the photo of the kids and L. Such serenity. Excellent.

And hoping the best for your dad. He's been through a lot.

You ALL have.

Oh, and kudos to Z for the job. YAY! Cassie is having a heck of time finding work around here. Poor thing, has to play all summer...boo hoo.

 
At 7/06/2009 3:51 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

You have to tell us what happened to the former dishwasher! I know why she left, of course, but is there more to the story?

 
At 7/06/2009 4:17 PM, Blogger none said...

I wish you and yours the very best.

Glad you had a nice visit.

Keep us posted.

 
At 7/06/2009 6:54 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Jeannie, I was definitely due for an attitude adjustment.

VV, yup, I'm back. Your laughter helped a lot too!
Now I just have to get my act together and give Pat a call. What's the best time to call her?

Thanks Squirl! How are you and Ichabod adjusting to your new living arrangements?

Cherie, I wish you could've been here to see SME playing WiiFit for the 1st time. I've never seen a Mii throw herself on the ground and sob before.

SME, nothing new, other than her ex has to give the court a full financial report within a week or go to jail. And the "sugar daddy" is moving out of the house he shares with his wife. I wonder if he'll still be able to afford the $500/week?

Hammer, thanks! I'll definitely keep everybody posted. Ranting on my blog is great therapy. ;)

 
At 7/06/2009 7:23 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Just catching up on stuff as have been away all weekend.

I'm so glad you had such a great visit with SME & Richard! You really, really needed something shining at you through all the rain you've been having, so I'm very happy for you!

 
At 7/06/2009 8:54 PM, Blogger VV said...

Probably the best time is after 7 p.m. during the week. That would be after dinner and she's more likely to be home then. She's at the produce markets working for her husband on weekends, no telling when she gets home on weekends what with the markets and visiting family, friends, and doing church stuff.

 
At 7/06/2009 11:15 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

So glad you got to laugh and have fun with all the stress in your life lately. I just wish we could come home before school starts again. but with his hours not looking like they are going back up for a long while I dont know. Even if it was for a couple of days. One night and two Days would be great to get out for a bit. But yeah right.. Anyway. Talk to you soon.

Oh yes young man congrats on the job. I was going to say Happy early B-day to Z if I forget you this year.

 
At 7/07/2009 8:32 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

WC, that's so sweet...thank you!
SME and Doug have been with us through all of our trials, but it's so much better in person!

Thanks VV. That would be 6pm our time, so that should work out great.

Tweets, I understand. We can't even afford to go camping 30 miles from here and we don't have a house or car payment to worry about. This economy just plain sucks!

 
At 7/08/2009 6:04 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Tshs: A Mii tantrum!! Do tell! HA!!!

 
At 7/13/2009 3:14 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Yup. That's one thing that sucks about phones/internet. They still haven't figured out a way to send a hug through. Bad design by Al Gore.

Great that you were able to spend 4th of July together. I had a marvelous time in Vegas with family and friends.

That's great about Z. Teach him monetary responsibility young. His generation will see layoffs a lot more than ours and it will take monetary responsibility to survive each one. Not being a pessimist, just a realist. I've seen firsthand who does and who doesn't survive repeated layoffs, and some actually come out on top and very financially healthy and it's because of good habits.

You should write a post about the dishwasher. Give us something to laugh about.

Tell SME she should draw a 10 years later picture of Mickey the Mouse after 'roids.

 
At 7/13/2009 11:03 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Love the drawings! So nice to have family - I got blessed this weekend too. Sounds like your parents are doing better? Mine is sort of a mess - hope I will know more when I get out there, I fear maybe some senility of some kind - maybe its just the hearing problem - I don't know - there is never any rest is there? Your mom looks good from what I can see in the photo.

 
At 7/14/2009 10:52 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

ZS, just picture Minnie Mouse, only fatter and depressed. ;D

 
At 7/17/2009 4:25 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hey of the topic I used you guys as a job reference but I didnt use L because he cant hear that well so I used you instead. I didnt think you would mind. They are calling my references in the next few days and doing my back ground check. Nothing there really or nothing I can think of. I dont think they will check MN so here there is nothing there. Hopefully fingers crossed I get the job..

 
At 7/18/2009 10:49 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Cherie, do we call this phenomenon a "Mii Fit"? *giggle*

ZS, I think financial responsibility is the most important thing to teach our kids. We have many friends and family members who have taught my kids a lot through their bad examples.

Gardenia, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat with parental health issues. :(

Tweets, no problem!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home