Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tears & Frustrations

Last night was one of those Kodak moments. It wasn't necessarily a moment that I'd want to commemorate with a picture, but it will be etched in my mind forever.

Z's frustrations got the better of him last night. He sat down on the couch and started sobbing. Dad didn't get it; he tried words of cheer. It was time for Mom to take over. I sat next to Z, put my arm around him, and laid my head against his. All Z's fears and frustrations came flowing out of him in one continuous sentence. I kissed the top of his head and responded with all of my fears and frustrations. Surprisingly, many of them were similar. We shared the burden of feeling so overwhelmed when chores and responsibilities pile up and we just don't know where to start. Then we slide into the pitfall of doing nothing, because we KNOW we don't have the time to accomplish anything significant. What's the point in trying?

Z and I agreed that we will BOTH start taking things ONE STEP AT A TIME. We will accomplish something every day, no matter how small. We will be proud of ourselves and each other for our accomplishments. We will nudge each other when we see the other falling into the quagmire of self-pity. At this point Dad joined in and agreed that if we took enough "baby steps" we could actually finish a lot of our projects.
We ALL went to bed with smiles on our faces and the knowledge that we make a fantastic team! We'll get through this the way we always have; TOGETHER!

11 Comments:

At 6/14/2005 8:02 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I am so happy you are all so supportive of each other and are comfortable sharing your feelings openly.

There are lessons in everything, especially tears.

 
At 6/14/2005 11:59 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Wow.. that was cool.

 
At 6/15/2005 12:26 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I'm so glad that you all have each other. That's what it is all about - family and helping our kids.

 
At 6/15/2005 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to hear how supportive you are of each other. It's a real lesson in priorities.

 
At 6/15/2005 9:20 AM, Blogger Vest said...

I have dried my eyes now, and I am thinking that there is a lesson to be learned here, the subject title would be on para 3 line 2, ONE STEP AT A TIME.
The more times it is read, so much more you will become a better person, success comes with trying or a basinful of good luck, and thar-aint much of that around.

 
At 6/15/2005 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all are GREAT !!!

 
At 6/15/2005 11:45 AM, Blogger United We Lay said...

I'm a sep by stepper myself, so I completely understand.

 
At 6/16/2005 11:26 AM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

It's been said that a successful person sets a series of small goals rather than one big goal.

 
At 6/18/2005 1:26 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Seems to be the week for sobbing children and Kodak moments!

I'm glad you were there for each other! Family is always the best suppot network!

 
At 6/22/2005 8:27 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

WAY TO GO, GUYS!! What does Santa sing in the movie "Santa Claus is Coming to Town?" Don't forget it! You'll get there eventually!!

 
At 6/23/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Sure SME, put it in terms Mom can understand!
BTW, that song has been going through my head ALL DAY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home