Saturday, August 06, 2005

Water Heater Day

Our server has been on/off a bunch the last couple of days, so I haven't done much posting. Hopefully it will stay on long enough to post this today. That's what we get for living in the sticks!

Our floor repair project is coming along quite well. L has most of the swelled area of subfloor under our windows cut out and squared up for the replacement pieces of 3/4 inch plywood. His back is killing him from this grueling job! L and I do one-person jobs during the week and save the 2man jobs for the weekends. It's my weekend off, so we have 2 whole days to (hopefully) accomplish a LOT.

I've spent my spare time researching and purchasing materials for our project. As long as we've got our bedroom emptied out, we're going to do ALL the redecorating and repair projects that need doing in there. So far I've picked out the paint colors for our accent wall and ceiling, bought wall cupboards that we'll install full-width over the wall our computer desk is on, and purchased our carpet. Next week I'll be cutting out an access for our master bathroom plumbing in our bedroom wall. We have an access in our walk-in closet, but all it accesses is the bathtub drain. Our house is 19 yrs old and I KNOW, from experience, that the bathtub faucet will be going one of these days. There's no sense painting the wall and then cutting into it a couple of months from now. This way, we'll be ahead of the game for a change.

Monday night I woke up in the middle of the night with a HORRIBLE thought. ALL the trim in our bedroom needs to be removed and cut off 1/2 inch to accomodate the new plywood subfloor. YIKES, another putzy job. Hopefully I'll be able to remove and reinstall all the trim without breaking any of it.

This weekend's project is the replacement of our 19 yr old water heater. We've been living with 1 working element in our water heater, for the last 3 yrs. This hasn't been too much of a hardship. We've just had to plan our baths and clothes washing to match our hot water output. We didn't see the point in replacing the element in a 16 yr old water heater. We KNOW that we won't be able to remove the old heater without sloshing some water, so we want to replace the water heater before we lay the new plywood floor.

Yesterday we purchased the ONLY 40 gal, electric water heater in town that didn't have to be special ordered(with a 3 week wait). Sears had one too, but the warranty is voided if you install it yourself; forget that! We're hoping that the connections on the new water heater won't be TOO FAR off where the old ones are. If not, I've scoped out the plumbing section at Menards and we should be able to extend the new connections with relative ease. My Dad's an electrician and is on standby today, in case we have problems with the electrical connections.

I've already got a load of wash going. I want to get our work clothes washed before we turn off the water. With our luck, this project could easily turn into a 2 day span with no running water. We've learned to plan for the worst in any home improvement project!

Well, I guess it's time to wake L up, give him some coffee, and carry in the new water heater, so we can see what we're dealing with. Wish us luck!

15 Comments:

At 8/06/2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Bleah! Our first warranty repair is coming. We're supposed to have a super-duper pump that instantly brings hot water to all faucets, but it only seems to work on one shower. I'm thinking about getting one of those big-mama heaters as well as the kids get older and start using more hot water. Dollars, dollars, dollars...

 
At 8/06/2005 1:50 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Good luck!
You are going to LOVE your new hot water heater. Why did you go electric instead of gas? Too much labor to convert???
Saves you major bucks...

 
At 8/06/2005 4:14 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Jason-That's why we didn't go whole-house tankless this time. We're waiting for them to work the bugs out. Hopefully they'll have 'em worked out before we need the next water heater.

Sadie-We're 3000 feet from the gas line. When we first moved out here, the gas company said we'd NEVER save enough money on gas to warrant the cost of digging a line in that far.

 
At 8/06/2005 7:57 PM, Blogger Sonja said...

Out with the old, and in with the new! ALl those bedroom projects sound so exciting (which of course is partially due to the fact that I don't have to do any of it - lol).
I hate our gas appliances. The stove makes me feel like I'm camping every time I use it (I grew up with an electric stove). Also, the thought of leaks and explosions unsettles me a bit. Lucky you!

 
At 8/07/2005 7:46 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

euro-Thanks for all the sympathy!hehe
I'm with you on electric stoves. Every time we've bought a house, we had small children. Flame and kids makes me nervous. Last spring we bought a new radiant range with the smooth cooktop. I LOVE it. Cleanup is soooo easy! How's your ant problem?

 
At 8/07/2005 10:27 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Ugh, water heaters suck to replace. In our last place, the moron who replaced it forgot to clear the lines and it screwed up our water pressure completely.

 
At 8/07/2005 10:33 AM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I do wish you luck - that is a lot that you have going on. Yikes! I'm glad you have a back-up electrician. :-)

 
At 8/07/2005 12:49 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

You know what I'm wondering. How come every time I buy a house, the water heater's a piece of ****. I've had to replace several of them already. I think it's a conspiracy. They know the Zombieslayer's about to buy the house, so they find the oldest water heater in town and replace it with that, then sell us the house.

 
At 8/07/2005 7:05 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Man, I've gotta hand it to you. That's a lot of work to do yourselves.

 
At 8/07/2005 7:08 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I still say a fire pit and cauldron in the backyard is do-able.

 
At 8/07/2005 8:22 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

They say if your marriage can survive working on a home improvement project together, it'll survive anything. We're not ALWAYS pleasant to each other, but we get it done.(SHUT UP, SME!)
We have hot water tonight, but we need to buy a new fitting tomorrow. As L says: "You can't do plumbing 90%; it's 100% or nothing." In other words, we have one place where we get one drip every 5 minutes. Not good enough!
No cauldron tonight, SME!

 
At 8/13/2005 9:12 PM, Blogger Sagepaper said...

I've been thinking as I read about the problem of the trim. If the only addition of plywood you are making in the room is on the floor, you don't need to rip-cut your molding. Just apply it slightly higher, touching the new floor. It will still measure the same going around the room, unless you mess with a wall.

 
At 2/15/2012 4:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Water is mostly needed at times like this! How did you deal with the dilemma? I bet you know what to do now if you ever face a problem like that. I actually thought you were celebrating your purchase of the water heater, but I guess it's the other way 'round.

Dwane Zelinsky

 
At 8/17/2012 3:51 PM, Blogger Darryl Iorio said...

LOL @ZombieSlayer! Yeah, that actually happens to a lot of people. They buy a house before they even notice that they have been left with a defective water heater. I guess the best way to avoid that is to do a thorough inspection of the house before you buy it. That way, you’ll be sure that everything is working fine. @tshsmom, I think you and your hubby are so great for fixing things on your own! You sure saved a lot of money with all the DIY stuff that you do. ;)

Darryl Iorio

 
At 1/13/2019 7:29 AM, Blogger Jason Smith said...

I enjoyed reading to you and I can relate to your experience. I don't know much about heavy household works regarding plumbing that is why I hire routine plumbing.

Jason Smith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home