Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Tag from Tweety

1. Wrapping or gift bags? I sometimes use gift bags for others. Here at home, it MUST be wrapping paper. My guys are too snoopy to use bags.

2. Real or artificial tree? Artificial. We can keep it up longer that way.

3. When do you put up the tree? Thanksgiving weekend.

4. When do you take the tree down? Generally the 1st weekend I have off in January.

5. Do you like eggnog? LOVE it! I rarely buy it as my guys don't like it and I can't drink a whole carton by myself.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Every gift was magically special when I was a child.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Absolutely! That's what Christmas is all about.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A wooden hair dryer/curling iron storage unit that my boss got for all her employees one year. I rarely use either of those items.

9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Email.

10. Favorite Christmas Movie? I LOVE just about every Christmas movie I've ever seen. If I have to pick just one, I guess it would be It's a Wonderful Life.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I shop year 'round. I'm usually completely finished shopping by December 1st.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Lefse.

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I like the look of white lights outside. On our tree, we prefer the warmth of colored lights. White lights are too stark for us.

14. Favorite Christmas song? I honestly can't choose just one!

15. Travel at Christmas or stay home? As much as we'd love to spend EVERY Christmas with both of our kids, we don't get enough time off to travel at Christmas.

16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph.

17. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star.

18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning? Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we do stockings. At our house Santa only fills the stockings. All the other gifts come from each other. We celebrate Christmas for 2 complete days around here.

19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People, especially my boss, bitching about how stressed they are, and how they wish Christmas would be over.

20. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? NO! We're 100% traditional. Every one of our ornaments has a story or memory behind it. They're precious to us.

21. What do you leave for Santa? Nothing anymore. The kids used to leave Santa sugar cookies and eggnog, with a carrot for the reindeer.

22. Least favorite holiday song? Blue Christmas

23. Favorite ornament? The ones my kids made.

I'm not tagging anyone this time. Let me know if you do this meme. I LOVE learning how others celebrate Christmas!

22 Comments:

At 12/21/2007 9:54 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Ok what is number 12??? Never heard of it.. I love your answers.

 
At 12/21/2007 7:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Weird, Dan has been craving Lefse like mad lately.
Tweetey, it's kind of a potato flat bread.

 
At 12/21/2007 8:59 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Courtney, are you still at the same address? I'll send Dan some lefse.

Tweets, I can't believe that you grew up in northern MN and never heard of lefse! Didn't you ever work a lutefisk night at Cookies?

 
At 12/21/2007 9:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yep, we do. Dan would love you forever if you sent him some lefse! :)

 
At 12/22/2007 6:42 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

I'm glad you did this one, too. I want to know if "Santa" enjoyed the eggnog. ;-)

 
At 12/22/2007 12:21 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Courtney, Dan will have lefse by New Years! Next year we'll make some extra for him. ;)

Squirl, I usually enjoyed the eggnog, except when it got warm. :P

 
At 12/22/2007 2:59 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

I did this in an email thing going around.

Lefsa! I was trying to think of the name of that! My "H's" granparents were Norwegian and just the other day I was thinking of Lefsa and Baked Cod with real mashed potatoes, dripping with butter, all wrapped in Lefsa! The king of comfort foods!

Do you make your Lefsa from scratch? I ought to search the internet and see if I could buy some and surprise him! I do want to make some Kringla. Do you do Kringla?
Lovely Christmas post.

 
At 12/22/2007 11:24 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Wonderful, just great! So much of your Christmas is identical to ours.

Except the lefse - yes yes, I will try it and soon.

We have a debate going on around here about the reindeer names. Half of us say it's Donner. Half say Donder. You say Donner. Proof?

Merry Christmas!

 
At 12/22/2007 11:31 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Looks like 50/50 for the Donner/Donder debate is about right.

See http://www.donder.com/

Wow, and really, who cares? As long as that reindeer flies and gets the gifts to us, he can be called Dodo for all I care.

:D

 
At 12/23/2007 7:24 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Gardenia, did the baked cod have a jellied consistency? If so, it's lutefisk, another Norwegian delicacy. Wrapping lutefisk and potatoes in lefse is the traditional way to eat it. Since we don't like lutefisk, we eat our lefse with butter and brown sugar.
We do make our lefse from scratch. The only other traditional Norwegian goodie I occasionally make is Sand Bakkles.

Cherie, let me know if you need lefse-making tips. It can be kinda tricky until you get the "feel" for it.
I've always been confused with Donner/Donder too. Years ago, I finally went with Donner, as our copy of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas spelled it that way. ;)

 
At 12/23/2007 10:10 AM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

My guys are too snoopy to use bags.

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Finished by Dec 1st? That's amazing. I always do it the last weekend or last second I possibly can.

People, especially my boss, bitching about how stressed they are, and how they wish Christmas would be over.

That too. Stress? Why? the only thing I don't like are the drivers. Other than that, love everything else about it (besides always getting sick this time of the year).

Junior already opened his "present." He knew what he'd be getting - a Play Station 2. We took him to Target with the agreement that as long as he continues to get good grades, he can play it as soon as he finishes his homework. If not, he could watch how much fun I'm having with it.

 
At 12/24/2007 9:10 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

ZS, now that Jr is on Christmas break, you'll have to find some good 2-player games. ;)

Bribery works well at our house too.

I'm not much of a gamer, so I've never touched Z's PS2. On the other hand, I LOVE his Wii!

 
At 12/24/2007 9:48 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

ZS, BTW, how are you playing PS2 without a TV?

 
At 12/24/2007 11:28 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Merry Christmas to you and L and Z!

 
At 12/25/2007 2:32 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Merry Christmas! Hope it's a really, really nice one.

 
At 12/25/2007 11:28 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Merry Christmas to the family!! I hope everything well. Hugs to all!
~Sadie Lou

 
At 12/26/2007 10:18 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Once. It was gross to get off the plates. That was just nasty. I couldnt stand the smell of it either. Yuckie.

 
At 12/26/2007 10:42 AM, Blogger JR said...

Great Christmas list meme! We like to prank our neighbors who do white lights outside and throw a string of colored blinkies on. All in good fun of course. This year we got a more distant neighbor. He thought it was great, and on Christmas morning, the yard decorations we used on another neighbor's yard last year, mysteriously appeared in our yard! Yeah, I missed those snowmen and candy canes. LOL All I've got to say is they'd better watch out for the May Day Fairies and their lollipops! Hope you and yours had a great Christmas!

 
At 12/27/2007 1:34 AM, Blogger Angelique said...

sme, I totally love a tree decorated with all kinds of ornaments that have a little history to them. Don't get me wrong I like theme Christmas trees too, but I kind of like it that my mom still has all my ornaments that I made when I was a kid and tells me their story every time I visit during the holidays. Good memories...

 
At 12/27/2007 1:38 AM, Blogger Angelique said...

tshsmom, I totally apologize for putting sme at the beginning of my previous post. I am just going to blame it on my overindulgence during the holiday season aka spiked eggnog. It's good stuff.

 
At 12/27/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger La Cremiere said...

Merry Christmas TSHSMom!

Ours was small but great, I put pictures of the little one, he makes Christmas so special.

Happy New Year ahead of time in case I don't have time to visit again soon.

PS: You need to show us what Lefse is, never heard of this.

 
At 12/27/2007 7:09 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Merry Christmas Squirl, Shawn, and Sadie!

VV, I can't wait to see the adventures of the "May Day Fairies"! It will be hard to top your football vandalism. ;)

Angelique, SME and I don't mind. Especially since most of the ornaments on her tree used to be on ours.
The memories in our ornaments is what makes them so special.
I sure hope you were mixing something besides beer with that eggnog. ;)

Happy New Year LC!
Check out my post from Dec 12, 2005 for an explanation of lefse.
I saw the pictures of Antoine. What a cutie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home