Saturday, May 24, 2008

Circular Notions

Sorry I haven't been around much the last couple of weeks, but I've been busy chasing my tail. It seems that every task I try to start results in a circular series of events. I'll TRY to lucidly explain my recent frustrations.

Our first obstacle has been this crazy spring weather. We're just now getting tiny leaves on the willow and poplar trees here. When it isn't raining or snowing, we've had days with 50 mph winds. We haven't had a single day that it's been dry or windless enough to rake our yard. Grass is now sprouting haphazardly amongst the leaves....*sigh*. I guess we'll just have to mow through this mess, THEN run the dethatcher blade over the lawn. Bassackwards all the way this year!

The picture above was taken 2 yrs ago. This is the area of our back yard where we tie out the dog. This has always been the low spot of our yard that flooded with every heavy rain. We had our contractor dump the soil he dug up for our garage into this area. We WERE going to immediately remove the rocks in the soil, rototill, rake, and seed this area.....

Two years later, this spot is overgrown with grass and weeds that can only be cut with a hand-held weedeater. This area is now the high point of the back yard that cuts off the drainage for the rest of the back yard. NOW, the rest of the back yard floods when it rains. Sooo....first priority--LANDSCAPE THE BACK YARD!

First step, put away the snowblower, and bring out the rototiller and lawn mower. Umm...yeah...the side yard is too wet to move this heavy equipment without seriously rutting up the side yard....SHIT! No problem...Z and I installed fluorescent shop lights and a wall shelf in the garage. NOW we can get the summer equipment ready to roll...except the rototiller won't roll ANYWHERE....busted belt....SHIT! L spends 2 mornings, before work, removing the old belt and running all over town shopping for a new belt. Then he discovers that he needs 4 more hands to install the new belt. Sooo, instead of tilling the yard last weekend, we spent an entire afternoon getting the new belt on the rototiller....DAMMIT!

The rest of the week we managed to untarp the camper, declutter the small shed, and fill in the ruts in the driveway. We have a 3-day weekend this weekend. According to the forecast, today will be the only rain-free day we have to: turn the compost pile, weed-eat, till, and mow. But first we have to dig the hose-reel out of the generator shed, so we can hose off the tiller tines between rounds. Hopefully it will now stay warm enough that the hose won't freeze up anymore. CRAP..we need to put air in the wheelbarrow tire...now WHERE did we store that inflater for the winter? At least I know where we put our leather work gloves....they're in the wheelbarrow. That reminds me...I need to bring out the rubber boots. As long as the boot box is open, I should put away the winter boots. Oh yeah...as long as I have these boxes down, I might as well put away the winter coats I've washed. Yup, there goes ANOTHER hour down the drain. *sigh*
Maybe tomorrow and Monday we can build the CD/DVD storage unit for our living room. The completed plans are above(Yeah, I know my drawing is crude, but I'm the only one that needs to interpret the plans.) The wood, screws, sandpaper, stain, and polyurethane are purchased and waiting.... Oh wait...first we have to sweep the winter's accumulation of sand out of the garage, before I can stain and polyurethane....then we have to dig the sawhorses out of the big shed....
Aww CRAP! WHY can't anything be simple? I'm getting dizzy!

25 Comments:

At 5/25/2008 9:19 AM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Wow, at least you HAVE plans. It's well into spring here and I cannot get motivated to complete the projects I didn't finish before Jellybean got here. Yep, they're still waiting for me. /sigh

 
At 5/25/2008 10:17 AM, Blogger Jeannie said...

I feel for you. We have a lot of stuff to do around here too but little time to do it.

 
At 5/25/2008 2:48 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I knew you had a lotta stuff to do, but DAMN!!
If there's anything Richard can do that doesn't need doing immediately, leave it for a couple weeks; he'd be thrilled!

 
At 5/25/2008 5:16 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Notta, those projects aren't going anywhere. Enjoy Jellybean. You already know how fast they grow up.

Jeannie, lack of time is always the curse around here too. That's why we're making the most of our 3-day weekend.

SME, there'll be plenty left to do when you get here. Maybe he'd like to try his hand at logging? We've got several trees to cut. ;)

 
At 5/25/2008 8:37 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Oh my gosh - reading about all that work has made me really tired. But you do have a start - with the plan, the chain of how to get there, and your goal of getting there!

Thank goodness our yard was pretty stress free this year - still have to fertilize front yard VERY SOON as its getting close to 90 every day. Last year I was about to bawl because 1/2 the grass was gone....odd that happened when I left for a while...and someone found out that you actually had to run around the house quite a few times several days a week to water which incidentally keeps the lawn alive.

 
At 5/25/2008 9:14 PM, Blogger JR said...

LOL!! So that's where you've been. Sounds like the same things we've been going through here, only with some slight variations. When I find time to post, I'll start to unravel all of it. Until then, good luck at getting started on all that. I'm feeling sorry for you with all that yard work waiting. I was so sore for days and days after doing our yard.

 
At 5/25/2008 9:50 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Gardenia, our chain always seems to have a few links missing. It was a slow start, but we actually made some headway this weekend.

VV, yeah, I couldn't let you guys show us up! ;)
Unravel is the perfect word for what we've been doing...sorta like a tangled up extension cord.

We really got out of shape this winter. We were really stiff and sore last night, and we all fell asleep by 8:30.

 
At 5/26/2008 1:35 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Wow. If you ever applied for the Minnesota Board that tries to get more Americans to move to Minnesota, I don't think you'd get that job. ;)

You'll have to take a picture when you get that DVD/CD thingie up. I'm lazy and bought one of those thingies from Target, and my wife assembled it.

 
At 5/26/2008 2:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, should I send you some energy bars and Gatorade?

 
At 5/26/2008 5:06 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Way too busy. I can hardly think about doing all of that.

 
At 5/26/2008 5:28 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

ZS, don't let my griping fool you, I'm still sold on the weather here. At least we don't get earthquakes or hurricanes, and we rarely have a tornado.
We have one of those pre-fab CD racks too. It's really wobbly now.
The rack we're building will be all wood, and stained to match the molding in our living room. It'll look nice even though we're placing it in a corner that isn't visible from the rest of the living room.

Courtney, you could always take the 2-day drive and come help. ;)

Squirl, we're looking forward to FINALLY, after 22 yrs, being able to have a back yard we can enjoy! ;)

 
At 5/27/2008 10:11 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

One day at a time and I hope you got somethings done. I knew there was another reason why we left there besides no work...

 
At 5/28/2008 11:06 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Sweetie, I bet you are working your buns off......post when you can. I hope the warm sun has become consistent where you are at. Its easing up to the 85's here - and humid - but its all good.

 
At 5/28/2008 8:37 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Notta's right, MAN do you have plans, and as usual you're on top of things. Seriously on top of things!!

Wish we lived closer. I'm not talented but could help with some direction. Sending you lots of green sunny thought tho.

 
At 5/28/2008 10:54 PM, Blogger C said...

I have projects I'd like to get done, but I haven't got any plans yet, so you're ahead of me there. ^_^

 
At 5/28/2008 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

>>Courtney, you could always take the 2-day drive and come help. ;) <<

I'm actually tempted. Really.

 
At 5/29/2008 4:23 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, that's what we try to do...accomplish one thing/day. ;)

Gardenia, we've only had 1 day of rain, and temps in the 60s-70s...perfect weather! Anything over 70F is too HOT for me! :(

Bridg, I wish we lived closer too! The 4 of us could have your yard whipped into shape in no time. ;)

Candace, for me, putting a plan on paper is half the battle.

Courtney, you guys are welcome ANYTIME....pets too! Maybe I should have SME pick you up on their way from Vancouver to here? This town would NEVER be the same if we all got together! ;)

 
At 5/29/2008 7:35 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Man! You always have so much stuff going. I don't think I could handle half of it. Our weather hasn't been as rainy, but it has been cool and windy.

 
At 5/29/2008 8:15 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I thought this post was gonna be about crop circles. Hmmph.

;D

 
At 5/30/2008 8:01 AM, Blogger none said...

drainage problems in the yard are the worst. Good luck with getting that fixed.

 
At 5/30/2008 10:01 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

I would love to see what it would be like to have you all together including pets.. LOL..

 
At 5/31/2008 9:13 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Well, has the weather let up so you can quit the circle stuff? I'm still doing circles in the house - start one thing and another pops up - its like a chain reaction - a nuclear meltdown or ------ something

 
At 6/01/2008 10:37 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Squirl, with the current economy, we can't afford a vacation. We're trying to turn our back yard into a relaxing "haven".

SME, feel free to create all the crop circles you want when you get here! ;)

Hammer, no kidding! Unfortunately, the drainage gets WORSE while we're in the process of sloping the yard. :(

Tweets, we'll definitely do it someday...either here or in Montana!

Gardenia, I fear the "circle stuff" has become a way of life!
We accomplished a LOT last weekend. Then we got 3 inches of rain. The low areas are flooded right now, but we can still work on the higher ground. PLUS, we only have 10 days to get the house in shape for SME's visit...yup, going in circles again! ;)

 
At 6/02/2008 8:26 PM, Blogger Mike S said...

Wow!! You need a job?? You've got our spring routine down pretty well: mass confusion interspersed with frustration. Still, like you, we soldier on in hopes we'll actually get the result we planned for at some stage.
Lately I've been thinking 'goats' quite a bit. Still gotta convince SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) though. I do LOVE the little critters, gotta be a way to get some.

 
At 6/10/2008 2:11 AM, Blogger Cherie said...

I need to go lie down after reading this.

But first - congratulations on the grass!!!!

No snow. Whoo-hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home