Thursday, June 23, 2005

OK Ben; I'll Play

Since Ben went to all the trouble of researching this game, I'll play. Remember where I live Ben. I'm the only one close enough to get you! LOL

If I had to choose between books, movies or music; I could only have one of these for the rest of my life. . . . What would you choose?
I love my music and movies, but it has to be BOOKS!

Total # of books owned?
I've never counted them, until now. Holy SHIT! Let's see. . . We have 3 bookcases full of hardcovers, so there's around 300 there. Then we have 2 paperback bookshelves, with 8 shelves each and an average of 30 books/shelf. That comes to another 480. Then there's the books in Z's room, plus my "must read" stack, plus a few other stacks squirreled away here and there. So I guess we have between 900-1000 books. I honestly didn't realize the number was that high.

Last book I bought?
Learning Outside the Lines-Two Ivy League students with learning disabilities and ADHD give you the tools for academic success and educational revolution.

Last book I read?
Brain Gym-Teacher's Edition This is a book on kinesiology. It teaches exercises that help a student use both sides of his brain at the same time. (You'd never guess that I was homeschooling an LD kid, would you?) The next book I read WILL be for FUN!

5 books with special meaning to me?
Bible
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lord of the Flies
The Bert and Ernie Book-We read this book to our kids so many times that they both had it memorized.
Dr. Phil's Relationship Rescue

Honorable Mentions:
Frenchman's Creek
All James Michener and John Jakes
All Robert H. Heinlein
The Harry Potter Series
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series

I TAG BRIDGET JONES AND SAGEPAPER

10 Comments:

At 6/23/2005 3:45 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

All right, you're the third person who put To Kill a Mockingbird in one of the top five. I'm going to have to read that.

 
At 6/23/2005 4:41 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

OK, ZS; you read that one and I'll read the Chronicles of Narnia. I tried reading those in the 5th grade and wasn't interested. My interests have expanded since then.

 
At 6/24/2005 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand all the rules. Regarding the first question: Music, Movies, or Books, I depart from your choice, albeit with a heavy heart.

Music is the wind which unfurls the standard of my soul. Without it, life would be missing a great force for me.

Books have long been my passion, even before I could read, I loved books. My husband and I own so many that I have seriously looked into the tax advantages and requirements of opening a private library. The problem is, we might have to lend the books to strangers.

Movies are fun, and sometimes leave an impression on me. I don't know actors' names and faces, I don't collect movie sound tracks, and two years after seeing a movie, I cannot recount scenes from it.

My choice, according to my experiences, would be movies. I have spent a great deal of time around the elderly. I see how their mental function is related to mental stimulation. I see how that stimulation decreases as their senses give way to age.

Not knowing if I might first go blind, rendering books useless, or first go deaf, rendering music joyless, I would choose movies, and hope the explosion in documentaries continues.

Now, how do I play from here?

 
At 6/24/2005 1:44 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

You did quite well, Sage. I love how you made your choice. Now just tell us your 5 favorite movies!

 
At 6/24/2005 8:37 PM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

I'm not sure if To Kill a Mockingbird would make my top five, but it is tremdously good. I still haven't read Lord of the Flies. I must get on that.

 
At 6/24/2005 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A suggestion: read Pat Barker's Regeneration triolgy (Regeneration, Eye in the Door, and Ghost Road [which won the Booker Prize]). They are novels based around a poet who ends up in combat during World War 1. Anyway, these three books are among my favorites!

 
At 6/24/2005 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My five favorite movies -- boy, that's hard. As I said, I'm not really a movie buff, and have trouble remembering things. I'll do my best:

1. Braveheart
2. Gandhi
3. Bambi
4. Dances with Wolves
5. Tootsie

Favorite Actors (whose names I can remember):

1. Sean Connery
2. Morgan Freeman
3. Leonardo DiCapprio
4. Denzel Washington
5. My memory just gave out

Favorite Actresses (whose names I can remember)

1. Whoopi Goldberg
2. Sally Fields
3. Katherine Hepburn
4. My memory just gave out
5. Still can't think of any more names

Worth mentioning:

I cannot stand horror -- I have enough trouble not ticcing without the suspense music and stuff.

I detest the kind of comedy that features dead dogs. It isn't funny.

I lack the patience to watch a serious romance, unless there is something special about the scenery, or some other redeeming virtue. Exception: The Thornbirds.

 
At 6/25/2005 4:34 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

tshsmom~
Cool beans. I had To Kill a Monkingbird in my honorable mention section of the same "tagged questions" and my number one book to have an effect on my life is the Bible.
I'll bet you a dollar that you will enjoy The Chronicles of Narnia. Start with The Lion the Which and the Wardrobe, even though that's not the first book...The Magician's Nephew is the first one.
I read these books in grade school and then again in highschool and then I got them for Christmas a couple years ago. I only really "got them" when I read them the third time. The Christian theme running throughout is so much more obvious.
Take a close look at the character Aslan.
Let me know when you've read one of the books. You have until Dec. of this year to finish before the movie comes out!

 
At 6/25/2005 4:44 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Sadie; I'll do it!

 
At 6/27/2005 9:42 PM, Blogger Ben said...

glad to see your playing along tshsmom, I like your list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home