Friday, September 30, 2005

Pictures to Follow

I have RETURNED; exhausted but exultant!!

The past 12 days I've been killing myself staining and polyurethaning(3 coats) 4 inch strips of plywood to create a hardwood perimeter in our living room. Now a 12 foot piece of carpet will fit between the hardwood edge and we don't have to splice the carpet, which we're terrible at! In the future we won't have to move our bookcases or entertainment center to replace or shampoo the carpet. L didn't understand my plan at first. He now thinks I'm brilliant!

We got the carpet laid on Tuesday night and our new furniture arrived yesterday afternoon. We're now the proud owners of a forest green La-Z-Boy couch and a BEAUTIFUL oak(actual REAL wood that we didn't have to assemble) entertainment center! I'm now in the process of wiring our AV equipment, which consists of: 2 VCRs, DVD player, turntable, graphic equalizer, dual cassette recorder, analog CD burner, 5 CD changer, amplifier, digital cable receiver, 2 video game systems, and bedroom and living room speakers. The new furniture forced us to rearrange all of our living room furniture, but we love the new arrangement! After I'm finished wiring and we get the entertainment center pushed into place, we have to find new places to hang our pictures. When we're finished, I'll post pictures of the finished product. I'll also post pics of our bedroom after I get the stereo equipment out of there.

It's the last day of September and I can't believe all we've accomplished in the last 2 months! We've replaced our water heater, rebuilt our bedroom floor, hung 10 feet of cabinets in our bedroom, painted 1 wall of our bedroom a lovely navy blue(which my mother hates), painted the bedroom ceiling light gray, stained, polyed and hung new trim on the blue wall, laid new bedroom carpet, put new paneling on the living room side of our kitchen cupboards(with extra insulation around the dishwasher), and created a BEAUTIFUL new living room floor.

I still need to stain and poly the new trim for the front door, shorten the new living room and bedroom drapes, and sew valences for the living room windows; but tonight I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labor!

22 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 6:43 PM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Jeebus - no wonder you haven't been blogging much. :-P

I can't wait to see pictures!! Please tell me you're going to take it easy for a bit. ;-)

 
At 9/30/2005 8:51 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Notta, I blogged tonight; that's a start ;)

 
At 9/30/2005 9:52 PM, Blogger Vest said...

Hello lovely person, nice to have you back in circulation, you have a lot of catching up to do especially on Z S's posts.

 
At 9/30/2005 11:08 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

I know a place in South Bend could use a couple of handy persons!

 
At 10/01/2005 12:02 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Holy Moly! You HAVE done a lot. It seems like just yesterday that the hot-water heater went. LOL!

It must feel good to know that you are almost done.

 
At 10/01/2005 7:57 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks, Vest! I caught up on most of his posts last night.

Bridg, you can move in anytime. Just promise your spoiled cat won't bully our spoiled, wussy dog. ;)

GWB, throw in a canoe trip and some BBQ and you're on!

Monica, you have no idea how GOOD this feels. We're all anxious to get back into our "normal" (is there such a thing?) work, homeschool, chores routine.

 
At 10/01/2005 7:08 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Enjoy, enjoy. You've done plenty of hard work. *waiting for pictures*

 
At 10/01/2005 8:20 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

You still have a turntable? Very cool. I have hundreds of records with nothing to play them on. :(

Kind of sad though, because I still think records sound better than CDs, especially for classical music.

Looking forward to the pics.

 
At 10/02/2005 2:14 AM, Blogger Sonja said...

Good times!
I remember the first morning our living room was put together after 4 months of renovations. I came down the stairs and felt like I was in a parallel universe (and a better one, too).
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! *victorydancing*

 
At 10/02/2005 7:40 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

ZS, we have over 300 LPs and 100 45s. A couple of years ago I bought an analog CD burner to transfer my irreplaceable music to CD. Someday I'll get that done ;) We have a 15 year old linear tracking turntable that's developing glitches. I'd better start shopping for a new one before they quit making them.

Squirl, like you, I'm better at photographing scenery and wildlife. I just can't seem to get the angle right to show how the rooms really look.

Euro, we're having the same feelings. It's all rather surreal. Last night L said he feels like he's in somebody else's house. We can't possibly own something this nice!

 
At 10/02/2005 11:15 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

Wow...that's alot of work. And by the way, that is a brilliant idea... It sounds like all the work is paying off finally.

 
At 10/02/2005 12:17 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Shawn!

 
At 10/02/2005 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow, i can't believe how much you've gotten done in two months! congratulations.

 
At 10/03/2005 10:30 AM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I'm excited to see the pictures. I'm such a sucker for home improvement shows--this is no different. I love seeing other people's hard work.

 
At 10/03/2005 11:43 AM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

I'm exhasuted just reading that.

 
At 10/03/2005 6:55 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

How many remote controls do you have with all that A/V stuff? We had six and my guess is you have me beat by at least four.

 
At 10/03/2005 7:27 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

WC, 9 counting the TV and cable box.

 
At 10/04/2005 10:44 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Hey, I was pretty close.

We had a remote controlled air conditioner, if you can believe that. The ultimate in laziness...

 
At 10/04/2005 5:37 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Some of our stuff is pretty old, so it doesn't have a remote. The only ones we really use are the cable box, DVD, and occassionally, the CD(some CDs I skip tracks on).

I have to put new batteries in the VCR remotes so I can set the clocks. Other than that I don't really use them. We either put in one of our older movies and play it through or I'm recording educational stuff for homeschooling.

 
At 10/04/2005 7:01 PM, Blogger Sagepaper said...

I went and spent the weekend with a friend of mine in Wisconsin a couple of decades back, give or take five years. Her family had gotten one of the first remote controlled TV sets. It was a large family, though, and the remote was irretrievably lost. That might have been a problem, with the miniaturized controls on the TV itself. Fortunately though, they were practical and sensible people.

On the coffee table, among the clutter, were a few short lengths of chandelier-hanging chains. Their father had explained about wave lengths, and wave forms, and the complexity of wave lengths contained in any sound.

He and his family had gotten out a bunch of chains, and tried shaking different lengths of different kinds until they had a chain for each different remote control function. You just picked up the chain and jiggled it, and it contained the right ultrasonic frequencies to adjust the volume, change channels, etc.

Then, he decided to tidy things up a bit and teach his kids more things well beyond my limited understanding of waves. He went to the hardware store and bought a larger chain whose lengths could do all the things the different jewelry chains and such had done, in integral numbers of links.

(This could be a science project for Z? The technology might be different.)

 
At 10/04/2005 7:39 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Sage, that's an ingenius idea your friend's Dad had! I think remotes today work with infrared light, but either way it's a science project idea I'm sure Z would be interested in. Thanks!!

The really funny thing is that Z has never operated a rotary dial TV or manually rolled down the window in a car.
I tell him that when I was a kid we only had 3 channels on TV. His answer is there still isn't anything worth watching on 100 channels!

 
At 10/04/2005 9:13 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Everytime you update, I slap myself and say, "And what have YOU done today, Robin!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home