Sunday, February 03, 2008

SUPER Week

Isn't this exciting?

Sunday, we have the SUPERBowl. Sorry, not interested. NONE of my family members even know who's playing.

In case you haven't noticed, pro sports, especially the Superbowl, are all about the money! If you want to encourage the corruption of corporate America, then by all means, watch the game! The networks love your viewership; it's how they justify the high price they charge for ads during the game. Don't forget to buy a big-screen TV, team memorabilia, tons of munchies, and BEER! We don't want all the commercials and printed ads from the last month to go to waste, do we? SPEND, Wall Street is counting on you!

Next we have SUPER Tuesday. This interests me, but I still won't be participating. Why, you ask? MN is a CAUCUS state. This means that I must attend a caucus meeting at 7 P.M. at our high school, and sit through at least 2 hours of party rhetoric. THEN, I would get to vote...via "show of hands". That's right, no secret ballot, show of hands!

Nobody, in my sphere of family and friends, participates in this process. Why not? Many, like L, are working. Countless others, like myself, are tied up with extracurricular activities, feeding their families dinner, getting homework finished, and getting their kids to bed. How many people can afford, or even find, a babysitter, so they can attend a caucus?

Would all of my family and friends vote if we had a regular primary? ABSOLUTELY! We need a regular 7 A.M.-7 P.M. voting day! EVERYBODY can participate this way. Parents can bring children to the polls with them, workers can vote before or after work, AND thousands of MN "snowbirds" can vote by absentee ballot. I've been pushing for this change ever since I attended my first caucus at the age of 18!

C'mon MN; let's CHANGE this!!

11 Comments:

At 2/03/2008 7:10 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I didn't even remember this. As usual, I don't know and don't care who's playing. Luckily I had a theatre meeting tonight and was in a roomful of other drama geeks who don't know who's playing, either! ;D
Alan had an interesting theory that because one of the teams that portrayed a fictional team in "Black Sunday" is playing, someone would hijack Ron Paul's blimp and fly it to Arizona to crash into the game. But Ron Paul sold his blimp. (unlike "Lemlet" and the other Ascended Nutters, he wasn't serious).

 
At 2/04/2008 8:11 AM, Blogger none said...

Same here. I had no idea the superbowl was on until I read some bloggers talking about it.

The caucus thing is really weird. Here in texas we register to vote and list out party on our application. Once the primary comes around we sign in at the table and vote on seperate machines that only have candidates for that particular party.

 
At 2/04/2008 10:31 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

We watched the game but it was ok. Not like watching the Packers play or anything like that.

Well on to elections and stuff. I have no idea what they do here in WI.. But you are right about the voting in certain times though.

 
At 2/04/2008 10:50 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I think caucuses are completely outdated and, as you said, skewed toward a particular demographic (middle to upper class men who have the free time to participate). Women, who have obligations after work, and people who work nights, weekends, odd shifts are totally excluded... I would argue that it's exclusion by deliberate design

 
At 2/05/2008 8:47 AM, Blogger JR said...

Wow, I never thought about how impractical a caucus could be. Thanks for a different perspective. Also, I apologize, I went to a Super Bowl party. We purchased snacks and drinks, we were glued to the flat screen t.v. to watch all the commercials and we even had a football pool going. My son won $25 for the final score. *sigh* I feel so dirty, a pawn of corporate America. :-&

 
At 2/05/2008 12:00 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

You and Laura are right, tshsmom, outdated and skewed.

This has got to be the most unusual group of freaks (the candidates) in a long long time.

Can't help but wonder how it'll turn out.

I didn't watch the SB but did know it was on. The outcome was something of poetic justice though.

 
At 2/05/2008 5:29 PM, Blogger Sonja said...

The way voting "works" in this country makes my German eyes water. From repeatedly smacking my forehead in disbelief.

 
At 2/05/2008 5:54 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, don't laugh, but a Truther site was predicting another "false flag" attack at the Super Bowl. He somehow linked the accidental cutting of some fiber optic cables in the middle east as a sure sign that this would happen. Wrong again!

Hammer, I thought my husband was the only man on the planet who didn't watch football!

I think we should have a nationwide primary election on the same day. No caucuses, no "Super Tuesday", just a day for EVERYONE to go to the polls and narrow down the choices.

Tweets, it doesn't matter who is playing, we don't care, and we don't watch.

Laura, I totally agree!!

VV, I'll forgive you. M and her Packers have been a bad influence on you. *giggle*

Blue, I'm afraid that the coming election won't bring about any change for the better. :(

Sonja, they blame low voter turnout on apathy. How about giving us some decent candidates running in an honest election system? That would be a refreshing change.

 
At 2/05/2008 7:40 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I just don't get caucuses. Michigan just has regular voting. It should be private.

And SuperWHAT? Not in my vocabulary. No football in this house.

 
At 2/07/2008 2:28 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Well my my my, we've found something we don't have in common. The Super Bowl. Oh well, it was bound to happen. We really enjoy the annual game and found this one particularly good. The kids come over (if they can) and we have a fun lunch and enjoy the day together - but you'll be happy to know that the ads don't sway us. ; )

Now your caucus, that was enlightening and quite interesting to me. Never heard of such a thing, voting by hand after hearing hours of talk. Outdated for sure. I hope you guys manage to get that changed.

 
At 2/07/2008 5:53 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Atta girl Squirl! ;)

Cherie, that's not bad, 1 thing out of about 300 so far. At least you guys make it a family activity. ;)

I need to do a post on how our local caucuses performed. The paper did a story on it...hilarious! Our county got a first-hand lesson on how outdated caucuses are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home