Saturday, January 17, 2009

Turkey Enchiladas

The cold spell is over....for now. Our 6 a.m. temp was a balmy +4F(-15C)! Unfortunately our warming trend was accompanied by 2 inches of snow, with an additional 2-4 inches expected this weekend.

The forecast says we can expect freezing drizzle on Tuesday. WTF?!! This is not even remotely fair after we just endured a week of -40F temps! Rain, on top of our 4 ft of snow, will be devastating to our area's wildlife! Hard-crusted snow allows the wolves to freely run on top of the snow, while the deer are forced to plunge through the drifts. Many birds, especially grouse, burrow into the soft snow to keep from freezing at night. A coating of ice on the snow causes the birds to suffocate while they sleep. If the weather turns cold again after the rain, the birds can't burrow into the snow and many will freeze to death. Nature is indeed cruel!


Many of you have been wondering what we do to amuse ourselves in the cold. The answer is COOK, of course! I always try to save oven meals and soups for the coldest days of the week. The extra heat in the kitchen helps us forget the frigid outdoor temps.

I've recently been gathering economical recipes to post here. I like to have an accompanying photo of the finished product. Z is becoming annoyed with the dinnertime photography. As you can see in the photo above, Z is no longer waiting for me to take pictures of our meal before he digs in..."I'm starving Mom!" Needless to say, this is one of Z's favorite recipes.

Turkey Enchiladas
4 Cups diced leftover turkey or chicken
8 flour tortillas
8 oz grated cheddar cheese
2 large onions, chopped
2 large green peppers, chopped

ENCHILADA SAUCE:
2-15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 Tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp garlic salt
2 Tbs sugar
Mix together and simmer 30 minutes

Fry onion and peppers in your favorite oil until tender.
Lay out the tortillas and place 1/2 Cup turkey in a line down the center of each tortilla.
Divide the onion/pepper mixture on top of the turkey, and top with grated cheese.
Roll up the tortillas and place in a greased 9x13 cake pan.
Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the rolled up tortillas.
Bake @ 350 15-20 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and glazed.

Served with salad or a veggie, this makes a great low-carb, lowfat, economical meal that easily feeds a family of 4. I can only eat 1 enchilada, so we usually have leftovers. Leftover enchiladas can be individually wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 1/17/2009 12:08 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

So glad that warm weather I sent you arrived safe and sound! ;)

The enchiladas look amazing!

 
At 1/17/2009 2:45 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

I never caught on to enchiladas for some reason but as long as you enjoy them!

It still feels pretty cold here - I think it's damper which makes the cold go deeper.

 
At 1/17/2009 3:24 PM, Blogger mister anchovy said...

I bet the enchiladas are really good!

 
At 1/17/2009 6:27 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

We often have mexican food with left over chicken or turkey - I just found a new recipe for rice & chicken with green chili, salsa verde, avocados - woo, it was good. The enchildadas look incredible. It does take more calories to survive that weather!

I just can't even imagine weather that cold, even though I used to live in it.

 
At 1/17/2009 7:42 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Our temp here is a very warm 26 degrees. And I'm sure we got at least 6 inches of snow today and it hasn't stopped yet. That freezing drizzle, though, is the worst. I hope you don't end up getting that.

 
At 1/18/2009 3:02 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

They do look good. I dont know if I could get Jeff to eat them or not.. but its a try.

 
At 1/18/2009 10:43 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Ohhhhh - that looks damn good! With my low-carb flour tortilla wraps, I would say they would fit in nicely with our diet.

Love to bake and cook in the winter. Stay warm and cozy! I hope that you don't get that horrible freezing rain, and that you get a break with the snow shoveling.

 
At 1/19/2009 9:49 AM, Blogger VV said...

Wow, you know an awful lot about weather and wildlife. I never would have thought about such things. As for the recipe, looks good. I'll have to tell M to stop by and check it out, as I only cook under duress. I did do a respectable lasagna last night, so I'm good for a couple weeks of not having to cook. I also cleaned the whole house (pretty much).

 
At 1/19/2009 4:01 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

WC, thanks...on both counts! ;)

Jeannie, I agree about the damp! :(

Mr A, they were! Z snarfed up the remaining enchiladas for lunch the next day, so we didn't even have leftovers.

Gardenia, I try to plan some sort of ethnic dish once a week. So far I just have Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and German recipes. I need to browse the web for some more recipes. ;)

Squirl, today they eliminated the freezing drizzle from our forecast. I hope they're right! *crossing fingers*

Tweets, it never hurts to try. You gotta have some varied meals or cooking gets to be really boring.

Grizz, you're the first one I thought of when I posted this recipe. ;)

VV, that knowledge is just a way of life up here. Our local paper has an article from the DNR every week. This article includes the weekly WSI(winter severity index) and explains how it's impacting the wildlife.
I usually cook under duress too. The duress being, if I don't cook, the guys eat junk food. Not good.

 
At 1/19/2009 5:02 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

It really is balmy here, finally (6 C)!

I have to admit, the turkey enchiladas kinda gross me out. But your turkey tetrazzini is awesome.

 
At 1/20/2009 6:55 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

I was waiting for you to say that! You never liked the enchiladas. ;)

Dad didn't like the tetrazzini, so I quit making it. Dad isn't real big on pasta. I think that Z would like it, but now I can't find the recipe. :(

 
At 1/21/2009 5:46 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Happy that you guys have warmer weather - get out the bikini!

You are right that nature isn't the kindhearted sweet woman often described. Indifferent is how I perceive her. What's good for this is bad for that. Seems ruthless, cruel, but the way of nature has no mind. It's all complicated.

Hard for we compassionate beings to watch - the animals starving, freezing, etc. Very hard. I hope gentler days arrive for you guys soon.

Your enchiladas are making me hungry. I make them now and then and like Z, my kids scoop first, ask questions later! "Starving!!"

 
At 1/22/2009 5:25 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Cherie, indifferent is the perfect word for nature!

Feeding starving teens on a budget can be quite a challenge, can't it? ;)

 
At 1/22/2009 9:54 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Nature is cruel, but grouse tastes good. That reminds me, I should call my old hunting partner and go out this year. Haven't been in a few years because I moved five hours away.

 
At 1/23/2009 1:11 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Mmmm! A delicious birthday dinner!
But I disagree that Nature is merely indifferent, Madame Pele has an attitude, it's in her nature!
Watch out!

 
At 1/23/2009 6:46 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

ZS, grouse is my favorite food! Hunting season for grouse has been canceled several times here when the winter kill is large. :(

DC, I agree, volcanoes are the exception!

 
At 1/24/2009 11:05 AM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

mmmmmmmmm that looks amazing. Glad it's more liveable as far as temperature goes. Thanks for the info re snow crusts. There is a grouse living in my hedge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home