Saturday, August 01, 2009

WEIRDO!

My dear blogfriend, Vancouver Voyeur, has asked "Where you at?". VV would be proud to know that I have been enlisting a new therapy to conquer my blahs...I've been releasing my inner weirdo.

Our summer has been only marginally better than our horrendous winter. We have only had 6 or 7 days that it hasn't rained. Our non-rainy days have been spent mowing and trimming our huge lawn. L and Z mow the bulk of the yard with the regular mower. I mow the rough areas with the wheeled line-mower. This is where my weirdness starts to be revealed....

The last time I was mowing, I noticed motion in the grass ahead of me. I stopped the mower and discovered a frog. I tried to pick him up and move him to a safe spot behind our woodpile, but the long grass stymied my efforts. Sooo...I just kept shooing the frog toward safety. Along the way I discovered 2 more frogs. Now, I'm literally herding 3 frogs, 30 feet to safety. It's a good thing that my actions weren't visible from the road that runs past our house. Yeah, I'm a frog-herding weirdo!

This isn't the first time I've exhibited these behaviors. We used to have a HUGE(he weighed at least a pound) toad living in our yard. Before L could mow, I insisted on finding our toad and sitting with him while L mowed. My hours of "toad-sitting" were some of the most peaceful moments of my life. I was free to just soak up the nature surrounding me for a couple of hours every week. I admit it...I'm a weirdo!

We used to have a pair of Mallards that nested in our back yard. For some odd reason, the hen would always decide to move her brood across the busy road, and on to the river, when I was home. I would run out, usually barefoot, and stop traffic until the ducklings were safely across the road. The hen would usually get spooked by the cars and fly to safety, leaving me to herd her babies across the road. SME and L always questioned my sanity following this maneuver. I guess that makes me a weirdo with a death-wish. When driving, I've also stopped traffic to carry turtles to safety...one time on a 4-lane highway.

I suppose you're all wondering what I've been doing to occupy myself when it's raining? Our July has been the coldest on record since 1913. I hate heat, so our 60F temperatures haven't bothered me at ALL! I'd been spending my time creating all sorts of yummy comfort foods...not a good thing for my waistline! Sooo....I decided to revel in my weirdness and spend time soothing myself in my current favorite comfort zone...the garage. I've been cleaning, sorting, and organizing my way into a peaceful frame of mind. I have an old cassette boom-box in the garage. I crank up my music and slowly work my way toward creating the efficient, organized, work-space I want our garage to become. A couple of hours in the garage leaves me feeling like I've done something to bring order into my disaster-ridden year. In the garage, my creativity can run wild and I'm enjoying every minute I can sneak out there. My name is Tshs and I'm a WEIRDO!

11 Comments:

At 8/01/2009 11:51 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

I don't think trying to rescue animals from nasty lawn-mower deaths or getting run over by cars is weird - it's sweet and compassionate!

 
At 8/01/2009 3:31 PM, Blogger VV said...

Weirdo? Shhhh, then there's a pair of us, you know. Don't tell. ;-) Actually I think your mothering instinct is more highly attuned than most. I can totally understand the hearding of frogs and gosslings. Although it did make me wonder one thing, that big one pounder frog...I wonder what he must have thought. "Oh no, here she comes again. She's going to eat me this time, I just know it!" Then he sits there wondering when it's going to happen. Then after awhile, you put him back in the grass only to hunt him down again a few days later. Do you think it confused him? As for the cleaning and organizing, I've been doing that lately too. I've been steadily and methodically plowing through work and messes, until I could get to my legal case and file another Motion in the next round. Then I began cleaning my office and house. Having grown up with my mom (manic depressive), clean meant calm and life was good; cluttered usually meant all hell was breaking loose. It stuck. If I'm stressed or life is throwing shit at me, I clean and organize. It might be the only part of my life I have any control over, but dammit, I will control some aspect of my life. Gotta run now, we're expecting 9 family members to show up in the next 30 minutes.

 
At 8/01/2009 5:33 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

I'm a weirdo too then because I have not run over frogs and toads with the mower too.

This would be excellent weather to organize the garage but there's just too much stuff in there now. Maybe in September when my daughter takes her stuff and goes.

 
At 8/02/2009 8:26 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I wanted to use herbicide to get rid of the creeping charlie in the garden and the lawn. Well, I did until I knew for sure we had toads again. Guess I'd rather fight the weeds than kill the toads.

If that behavior makes me a weirdo, then so be it. I'm in good company.
:-)

 
At 8/03/2009 5:35 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

No different here. We have baby rabits in our yard and Jeff was mowing the lawn yesterday and I have never heard me scream so loud in my life. I refused to let him finish in that area until I saw the poor little fellow run off or I should say hop off.

 
At 8/03/2009 11:48 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

"My name is Cherie - and I'M a weirdo, too!"

From animal shooing to finding my inner bliss via cleaning any room or building, yeah, you and I, twins, separated at birth!

"Hiya, Sis!"

(This post was a delight to read - you painted pictures and fed my soul.)

 
At 8/06/2009 8:28 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I would totally herd frogs to safety, so I guess you passed down that gene. I might draw the line at toad-sitting, though; like VV said, it would probably confuse and scare the bejeezus out of the toad.

 
At 8/09/2009 12:22 AM, Blogger Miranda said...

An awesome weirdo, though!
It's nice that you care about even the icky creatures.

 
At 8/12/2009 9:05 PM, Blogger VV said...

You okay? Do I need to make another phone call? :-)

 
At 8/12/2009 9:58 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Hmmm - dear creature herder. Not weird, just anointed earth mother type who happens to have the gift of creature herding! You should be proud! I am going to send you an armadillo family that seems to be confused about its area and dangers lurk everywhere. What is your mailing address for armadillo delivery?

 
At 8/13/2009 10:21 PM, Blogger Barb Patch and Mark Spurrier said...

"the garage. I've been cleaning, sorting, and organizing my way into a peaceful frame of mind."

If you need anymore peace of mind, I have a garage that could be truly therapeutic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home