Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Day In My Life

Since the end of June, when the contractors completed their work on the garage, the following has been a typical day in my life.

5:45 A.M.-1:30 P.M. : Work
2:00-6:30 P.M. : Work on garage, house, or shed
6:30-7:00 P.M. : Clean up and put away tools, materials, and ME.
7:00-9:30 P.M. : Cook dinner, clean kitchen, eat, go to bed.

We've accomplished a LOT!
So far we've:
Primed and put 2 coats of paint on the garage.
Put 2-3 coats of paint on the shed.
Cut, painted, hung, and caulked trim for the shed.
Built a new ramp for the shed.
Cut back brush and trees behind the garage and shed.
Laid 76 sidewalk blocks between our back door and the garage. Poured 2 Quikrete transition corners in the garage sidewalk.
Laid 7 sidewalk blocks for L's new grill and moved said monstrosity to it's new home.
Installed 2 garage door openers.
Doubled the ceiling joists in preparation for our garage attic. Installed a pull-down stairway in the garage ceiling, for our future attic.
Scraped up the dried mortar, that spilled when the contractor installed the block, off the garage floor.
Scabbed a stud into the garage wall, where the contractors missed the seam on 2 pieces of siding. (This is the only mistake we've found in their work.)
Installed front and back outside lights on the garage.
Installed locks, and knobs on the garage entrance door.
Installed windwash board and hurricane clips in the garage.
Caulked the entrance door, corners, and windows on the garage.
Caulked all the windows and trim on the house at least twice. (They changed the formula of the caulk I've always used, to make it more paintable. For some reason, this makes the caulk shrink when it cures, and I have to put a second coat on.)
Installed new siding, trim, insulation, and supports beneath 4 of our windows.
Put a fresh coat of deck stain on our house skirting.
Sanded, primed, washed, and painted the 2 long walls of our house.
Moved most of the tools from the sheds to the garage.
Built a CD-DVD storage unit for Z's room.
Rebuilt Z's closet to accomodate his newly rebuilt computer.
Replaced the toilet in Z's bathroom.
Leveled out the hump of dirt left by the electricians when they dug in the power to the garage.
Shoveled and raked out 6 yds of gravel.

So far we've used 8 gallons of primer, 20 gallons of paint, and 15 tubes of caulk.

In my spare time I do laundry, grocery shop, and pay the bills. We haven't cleaned the inside of the house since we started our projects (except for the bathrooms). The inside of our house looks like a war zone, but the outside is looking great!
Homeschooling has been suspended since September.

We still have to:
Caulk the big garage doors.
Build a new snow cover for our air conditioning unit.
Tarp the air conditioning unit and the camper for the winter.
Move L's small workbench and the scroll saw into the garage.
Winterize and put away the mowers and rototiller.
Prep the snow blower for winter.
Level the porches.
Shim the front porch door so it latches.
Paint the house trim, back porch, and 2 ends of the house.
Wash the outside of the windows.
Sew a curtain to serve as "doors" on Z's newly rebuilt closet.
Install a light in Z's closet.
Install the new kitchen faucet that's been taking up space on the counter all summer.
Install new ladder hangers on the shed.
Hang new house numbers.

It's supposed to snow on Wednesday.
Are we having fun yet?

26 Comments:

At 10/08/2006 8:12 AM, Blogger Laura said...

You need to squeeze a little more ME time in there missy! I bet you're like my mother (who's constantly busy with these sorts of things too) and you feel guilty taking a day off?

 
At 10/08/2006 8:20 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Laura, I took a day off when I hurt my eye. ;)
I'm actually looking forward to winter, so I can squeeze in a little ME time. Right after we clean the inside of the house, OK?

 
At 10/08/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

You make everyone I've ever met look like a slacker. ;D

 
At 10/08/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, everyone but Grandma and Grandpa.

 
At 10/08/2006 7:47 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Well, I don't know, even they're slacking compared to you guys! Heehee.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:21 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Try using English, ya friggin' creep.

 
At 10/08/2006 9:28 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, I've been deleting that crap all evening.

 
At 10/08/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Oh my Lord! You have got a list and a half. You have accomplished so much - I am amazed.

It just never ends, does it?

I look forward to Winter myself - early nights and tucking in by the fire and slowing down and resting.

 
At 10/09/2006 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude has too much time on his hands.

 
At 10/09/2006 2:46 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Me too Monica! I love the coziness of winter.

SME, no shit!

 
At 10/09/2006 2:59 PM, Blogger JR said...

Um, T, I think I might have figured out why you're not having any fun on the weekends. ;-)

 
At 10/09/2006 3:09 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

LMAO VV!! Ya think?
Next summer we SHOULD be able to go camping. We'll also have a lovely, convenient spot to BBQ. Hopefully the paint will stay on the house this time. *crossing fingers*
Of course, next year we STILL have to finish the inside of the garage, and do a LOT of landscaping, and I'm sure something else will break down in the house, and ....... ;)

 
At 10/09/2006 7:22 PM, Blogger Vest said...

Tshs: Good thinking, Camping; getting away from it all but will you, I feel certain you will discover another important issue in your home to deal with, although I hope I am wrong.I have been 2.5 days away from blogging,I have spent an hour getting rid of the muck- dodgy emails and one email from a disgruntled person.
Incidently checking your comments I have noticed SME & your goodself have overlooked one comment from a antagonist of mine who has infiltrated via an alias-one of many he uses (Jim).
Vest the investigator.

 
At 10/09/2006 7:50 PM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Goodness - just reading your list makes me tired. :-/ I would not do well with a schedule like yours. I turn into a raving you-know-what when I don't get "me" time.

 
At 10/09/2006 9:57 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Notta and SME are right, just reading that list makes me ache.

Tshsmom, you need some time off!!!

Snow??? Cleaning the house???

and how is that eye???

 
At 10/10/2006 8:13 AM, Blogger JR said...

Oh take a load off T! Come East and play in the water with the horsies and us! We're known for the influx of guests who show up in the summer. Hmmm, is it us or the beaches they've come to see? ;-)

 
At 10/10/2006 6:31 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Vest, I'm also certain that something else will come up, just like it has for the last 2 years. We do what we have to do, so we have a roof over our heads.
BTW, I refuse to play the "antagonist" game.

Notta, right now blogging is the only me time I have. :(

ND, the eye's doing great.
If it's still cold on Saturday, I think we'll rent some movies and kick back for the day.

VV, that sounds HEAVENLY! Your area has so much history and beauty. We'd all have a ball!
One of your twilight beach campfires sounds like just what we need.

 
At 10/11/2006 12:19 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

My gosh, gal. When it snows just take a little time, sleep in, curl up with a cup of something hot. It already snowed here - about 6 inches on the car this a.m. Brrr. But I'm looking forward to the weekend to try to organize apt. a little and maybe read a bit.

 
At 10/11/2006 1:20 AM, Blogger Vest said...

Quite chilly here this morning 15F on arising after the butler provided brekky in bed at 8-30.
Told er indoors I was having a lazy day(again),half hour blogging,showered, fed birds in garden the remaining toast,
Read Newspaper (DT)1.5 hrs
1030 half hour on excercise walker and bending to touch toes(nearly).Watered flowers in garden with rinsing water from washing machine, no mains water allowed to be used in garden or on cars.
lunch coffee only. Dozed off for two hours after checking the PC. Talked with my favorite bird in the garden, then prepared chook for Dinner cleaned & prepared Vegies 6 varieties.
I am now stuck in front of the PC; it is now too warm to venture forth outside - 87F.
I have abstained from alc for the past 10 days due to bronchial problems and meds applying the prohibition, looking forward to a J D or two, proves one thing I am not addicted,(Yet).
Another eight hours before bedtime,lots of exciting things may happen, maybe, or hopefully.

 
At 10/11/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Diana, we only got about 1/2 inch of snow. If it's still cold this weekend, I think we'll put up the Halloween decorations and rent some movies. My guys can make dinner. They've been shirking their once-a-week dinner making, all summer.

Vest, it sounds like you've got the retirement thing down to a science. ;)

 
At 10/12/2006 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The advantage of doing one's praising to one's self is that one can lay it on so thick and exactly in the right places.

 
At 10/12/2006 1:52 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Other, this is actually complaining, not praise.

This is a free country. If you don't like what you read here, then don't visit here.

 
At 10/12/2006 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tshsmom-Ooh;)
If you try to give an on-the-one-hand-or-the-other-hand answer, only one of the hands tends to get quoted.

 
At 10/20/2006 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

chocshack

 
At 10/20/2006 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

coon shack

 
At 10/20/2006 6:18 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

BUSTED once again Vest/Anon!!
You were the only one on this blog at this time.
BTW, why don't you set your monitor to 800x600? It's easier for old people to read. How's THAT for a sense of humor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home