Sunday, February 08, 2009

SICK of It!

Is anybody out there missing a gremlin? If so, PLEASE come and get him before I find him and wring his scrawny little neck!

The last couple of weeks our internet service has been horrible. It's either down or s-l-o-w. I mean dial-up slow! Arghh!! A couple of times the service outage was our fault. Z would disconnect and reconnect the cables and everything would work again. Friday night I found what was causing our loose cable problem. Hairry has started sleeping under our computer desk, curling up on top of all the cables. The new computer desk we're planning on building this summer should solve that problem, as the cords and modem will no longer be on the floor. The slow service I'm blaming on the new cable company which will take over in April. They said they would be switching our service to their system over this 3 month period. Once again....ARGHHH!!

Two weeks ago, I noticed that the food in the freezer section of our fridge wasn't as frozen as it normally is. I checked all the vents to make sure they weren't blocked, then I bought a fridge thermometer. The freezer was running at 15F and the fridge was running at 40F; acceptable, but not up to snuff. I turned the controls down with no result. Yesterday, the freezer section was running at 25F. SHIT! Our fridge is only 5 1/2 years old! I don't even know if there's still a residential refrigerator repairman in our town anymore. I'll start that quest tomorrow.

Yesterday, after I got home from work, we went over to my parents' house so Z could clear the snow off their screen house and shed. My Dad had hired someone to clear the snow off the house and garage. Dad built the shed and screen house, so he wasn't worried about the roofs collapsing under their 3 feet of snow. I've been reading up on snow weight. The 3 feet of snow on the roof weighs a bit over 15 lbs/sq ft. BUT-if you add 1/4 inch of rain to the snow, the load doubles. Freezing rain is forecast for Monday, so I thought those roofs should be cleared.

When we got home, our house felt a bit chilly. YUP, that's right, the furnace was OUT! We hit the reset button, which crumbled into a million pieces when I touched it. Next step--call a furnace repairman. We already knew that the 2 major furnace repair shops in town would NEVER come out on a weekend, so we called the new guy in town. I left a message at his home and on his cell phone. L chuckled as I left the messages: "You don't REALLY think that we'll hear from him before Monday, do you?" Well...it's almost noon on Sunday, so I guess not. Fortunately, we have 3 electric heaters, which kept the living spaces in the house at a toasty 73F. We were also lucky that the outside temperature was above 0, so our water lines, which run beside the heating ductwork, didn't freeze. At 1:30 a.m. the furnace mysteriously started working again, although it's also leaking small amounts of fuel oil right under the pump. I'm guessing that we'll need a new pump....IF the repairman ever gets back to us.

On the bright side, L fixed my garage door opener when it warmed up this week. He gave up trying to fix it when it was -40F, as his hands kept freezing. In the interim, L put the truck on his side of the garage so I wouldn't have to manually open and close the door. What a sweeheart!

It seems like we've been fixing one or 2 things/week ever since 2009 rolled around. I sure hope this trend doesn't continue all year!

11 Comments:

At 2/08/2009 11:55 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Ouch! That is total suckage. I hope this trend ceases ASAP!

 
At 2/08/2009 12:52 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

It does suck but then, once you have everything working again, it should last a while.

It's so strange that things seem to all fall apart at once isn't it?

 
At 2/08/2009 1:40 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

WC, me TOO!

Jeannie, yup, everything breaks at once, right when we can least afford it. :(

 
At 2/09/2009 6:57 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Wow, that is just ridiculous! Good luck getting through everything with a minimum of cost.

 
At 2/09/2009 8:22 AM, Blogger VV said...

I think we've got the Gremlin's sibling here. Our furnace went out during a cold spell as well. We couldn't get anyone over here to fix it for two days, and we have plenty of companies in town, it's just everyone else was having the same problem. Then it finally warms up and I hear birds in the fan/light of our downstairs bathroom. Go outside, the vent cover is missing and there an open 4 inch hole going into the side of our house. After borrowing a 15 foot ladder to reach the opening and buying a new cover, we discovered the last guy puttied, painted, screw and nailed that cover in. We couldn't get it off to replace it. So I covered it with foil and some air holes until I can figure something else out. At that height, and at an odd angle because of all the Holly trees up against the house, it's hard to get a good position to work on it. While outside, I made a 2 page list of all the repairs we need to do this Spring and boy howdy there are a LOT of them! Good luck with your Gremlin, ours is keeping us busy.

 
At 2/09/2009 10:42 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

I am convinced that it is a natural law that when one thing goes kaput, there are at least three others things, and maybe more that quickly or simultaneously go with it.

 
At 2/09/2009 3:28 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

I am sorry to hear about all the problems. Yikes.. Hope they get better soon. Sending good vibes of good luck the rest of the year.. I have been told things go to hell in three's... So just take one thing at a time and hope for the best I guess.

 
At 2/09/2009 10:16 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Same kinds of problems, different gremlin. The car alarm wouldn't turn off a couple days ago so Richard had to cab it to work, but then the next day it turned off perfectly. The cable just went out at the most suspenseful part of "Medium". The Internet's dodgy. We had to get a new microwave a couple weeks ago.

Now I've got a cold AGAIN. I'd just gotten over the last one, went to a meeting last night, and got another one.

 
At 2/10/2009 3:37 PM, Blogger Laura said...

OMG, when it rains it pours :((

 
At 2/12/2009 11:22 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Gremlin made it Oregon, too. Car battery croaked and oven blew up!

Somebody hunt that thing down and kill it.

 
At 2/14/2009 7:35 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Cherie, SHEESH, why don't these things ever happen one at a time?! I'm getting to the point where I don't want to get up in the morning and find out what's gonna break next. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home