Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Spirits

Entertaining friends and family is part of the fun of the Christmas season. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate all go well with cookies, but there are times when we need a more "spirited" beverage. I like to whip up the following recipes and have them on hand through the holidays.

Hot Buttered Rum
1 C butter or margarine
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 C packed brown sugar
2 C softened vanilla ice cream

Cream butter and sugars. Add ice cream and mix well.
This mixture can be stored in the freezer almost indefinitely.
Stir 1 heaping tbs into 1 C boiling water and 1 shot of rum, brandy, or whiskey. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon if desired.

Vodka Slush (Makes 3 qts)
1-12 oz can frozen limeade
1-12 oz can frozen lemonade
2 cans water
2 cans vodka
2-12 oz cans lemon-lime soda
Mix well and freeze overnight. This recipe also keeps well in the freezer.
Spoon slush into wine glasses and top with hazelnuts (if desired)

Be careful with this recipe; it's pretty potent. One of these is all I can handle.
When Z read the slush recipe, he said: "Well, at least nobody will have to worry about scurvy."

These recipes are easy, delicious, economical(I got a 1 liter bottle of vodka for $6.39), and look fancy when served.

12 Comments:

At 12/21/2009 7:15 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

Can't imagine wanting the buttered rum - my Dad made me drink some when I had the flu once - I threw up something awful.

But the Slush sounds great - but I'd make it with tequila.

 
At 12/21/2009 8:55 PM, Blogger VV said...

We make wassail each year. M makes it in her department office, you can smell it all over the floor and it just smells like Christmas.

 
At 12/21/2009 9:28 PM, Blogger mister anchovy said...

I'm not a rum fan. In fact, I prefer a shot of scotch, neat, just about any time.

 
At 12/22/2009 1:44 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

That sounds good for those of us that drink acohol... Good luck to those of you that try it...

 
At 12/22/2009 6:22 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Jeannie, this recipe tastes more like a Tom & Jerry to me.

I don't like tequila, but rum or gin would work too. We made it with Everclear once and that wasn't a pretty sight. ;)

VV, spicy smells are the best at Christmas, aren't they?

Mr A, you're an easy man to please...I like that. ;)

Tweets, at least we won't get scurvy. ;p

 
At 12/22/2009 7:45 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Those sound really yummy!

 
At 12/22/2009 7:52 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Wow! Those are some seriously boozy drinks! I'm planning on having a few Amarula-laced hot chocolate drinks this season, and I know my brother & SIL will have lots of gin & vodka at their place! Wheeeeeeeee!

Merry Christmas! Have a great time this week! I'll be thinking of you guys! Love ya back!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12/23/2009 12:56 AM, Blogger Cherie said...

Gonna print these up. Definitely.

I'm also looking for good egg nog from scratch. Got a recipe anyone?

 
At 12/23/2009 4:57 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Squirl, I'll toast you with one. ;p

WC, Z and I went over to my parents' house after work and picked up their turkey for us to cook on Christmas Day. When L gets home from work we'll eat dinner and THEN we plan on having hot chocolate w/peppermint schnapps by the light of the tree. Tonight we're celebrating having 4 whole days off!

We'll be thinking of you too. Have fun with your family!

Cherie, what I like most about these recipes is that they can be made ahead of time. All I have to do is pull them out of the freezer on Friday when everybody gets here.

Sorry, but I've never known anybody that can make decent egg nog...good luck.

 
At 12/25/2009 3:15 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Santa in a liquor ad is just...so...so...wrong.

;D

 
At 12/25/2009 8:29 PM, Blogger Barb Patch and Mark Spurrier said...

Hot buttered rum sounds great!!!!

much better than decent egg nog is not difficult, but time consuming and kinda a pain.

I will post a couple of recipes that I like on the church potluck (one raw, one cooked). If you feel ambitious, they are both excellent.

 
At 12/27/2009 10:21 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, I know. That's why I chose that image. ;)

Thanks Mark! The cooked one looks great. I'm extremely careful with raw eggs as I've had 3 friends who have had extreme cases of salmonella.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home