Sunday, January 21, 2007

TS Searches

The past few months I've been keeping a close eye on my blog statistics. I've been particularly interested in what brings people to my blog. Like the rest of you, I've had some bizarre search words. I'll post the weirdo searches later.

Most of my search hits are legitimate. I get very few ordinary homeschool hits. I get a LOT of homeschool tourettes, homeschool ADD, and homeschool OCD hits. I also get a lot of hits from the TS webrings I belong to. In addition, many people exit my blog by clicking on the TSA link in my sidebar. Several of these "lurkers" have returned to read my archives. This makes me happy. That's what I'm here for; to share our experiences with TS, OCD, ADD, Executive Dysfunction, and Dysgraphia.

This post is dedicated to answering the questions my "searchers" have asked.

pictures of real tourettes kids: Any kid will do. Seriously. Viewing pictures of Z would NEVER indicate that he has TS. A video, on the other hand...
While attending school, Z became a master of inhibiting his tics. Anyone who has dealt with TS knows this is NOT a good thing! Sooner or later, the tics "release". Z could usually control his release until he got home. Sometimes his tics would explode at school, which would embarrass him, creating anxiety and anger....not a pretty sight. Releasing his tics at home could take up to an hour, which wasted valuable homework time.
Inhibiting tics at school also makes teachers doubt the TS diagnosis. All they see are the resulting behaviors(anger, frustration), which they attribute to bad parenting.

baby "shaking head" neurological: Get a referral to a pediatric neurologist NOW! Is this TS? Maybe, but there are many things this could be. Ask the experts, trust your gut instincts, observe your child, and PRAY that you will find a doctor who is knowledgable about your child's problems.
We were lucky. Our one-and-only local psychiatrist correctly diagnosed Z with TS. He had never dealt with TS before. Neither had ANYONE within 300 miles of us! This included the closest(150 miles) pediatric neurologist. The neurologist's solution was to experiment with a variety of drugs, to see if any of them worked on Z....they didn't.
Out of necessity, I've become the foremost authority on TS in northern MN. Trial and error has taught us a lot. TS is different in every person. Know your child and find what works!

tourettes rewired: Yes, there is a surgery that "rewires" the brain of TS patients with debillitating tics. This surgery seems successful, but it's still in the experimental phase. They're not sure how long the "rewiring" job will last. This surgery is only for the worst cases; those who are unable to perform normal functions, such as eating, speaking, driving, or even walking.
We would NEVER consider this surgery for Z! Neither would we consider medication, at this point. Z's tics can often be annoying, distracting, or sometimes funny. But 99% of the time, they don't bother Z at all. Don't EVER be embarrassed by your child's tics!! This will only create anxiety in your child, and anxiety worsens tics. Tics are part and parcel of your child's identity. Do you REALLY want to change your child's personality? We don't!

tourette's oil: Huh?! This is a new one to me, so I did a search. The only results were for aromatherapy and Omega 3 oils. Z has been taking flaxseed oil for over a year; we all have. I'm not sure if it helps, but it can't hurt. I've also been adding whole flaxseed to most of my baked goods. There are a lot of health benefits associated with Omega 3s, so if it also helps TS, all the better!
We have also dabbled a bit with aromatherapy, especially lavender. Lavender is supposed to soothe anxiety. I'd like to step this therapy up a bit, but...sometimes teenaged boys can have an aversion to smelling like lavender. ;)

tourettes and caffeine: I've had numerous hits on this subject. I came across a study on caffeine and ADD, about a year ago. The study stated that caffeine could sharpen attention in anyone. Start with the lowest dose possible, as our bodies develop an immunity to caffeine. When this happens, slowly increase the dose. Do NOT give ADD kids caffeine late in the day, as it might interfere with their sleep patterns.
Z has been having a glass of Diet Mt. Dew with his breakfast. It has helped. Why diet? We've found that high fructose corn syrup wreaks havoc with Z's tics and attention span. We also avoid food dyes, especially RED.
This leads to the question of food allergies. A few studies have proved that SOME patients have wheat allergies, which can mimic TS. This led to scores of parents, who eliminated wheat from their TS child's diet. The results? Miserable families with food cravings. This process is very time consuming and expensive. I've read these family's experiences. Sometimes tics worsened as a result of the stress created by their cravings.
Once again, KNOW your child. If tics seem to worsen after your child indulges in certain foods, try removing the offending food. There's a LOT of trial and error when dealing with TS.

noises throat ocd: Sounds like a tic to me. However, go to your doctor. Your doctor will be able to diagnose other causes for this behavior. If it continues, see a psychiatrist or neurologist.

if i have tourettes should i have a child: That's a TOUGH one! TS is an inherited disorder. You'll need to discuss this with your future mate. Z has thought about this several times. So far his decision is that there are a lot worse things that can happen to a child. In the future, this will be a tricky decision for Z and his mate to make.

ocd child homeschool: Sounds like a good idea to me. The school isn't sensitive to quirks in your child that could develop into full-blown OCD behaviors, with an accompanying compulsion. You need to nip the quirks in the bud by having your child face their unreasonable fears. This requires a LOT of time and patience. The more times the child faces their fears, the sillier their obsession becomes to them. They eventually will realize that nothing bad will happen if they don't obsess about their fear.
If your child's obsessions have acquired an accompanying compulsion, they will have concentration and frustration problems in the classroom. Their anxiety, over the need to perform their compulsion, will override the lessons being taught.

tourette's titties
girls with tourette home videos: Searches like this enrage me!! There are a LOT of sickos out there who think The Tourette's Guy videos are hilarious. Many of these sickos have infiltrated TS message boards and chat rooms, hoping to get some laughs. When they are put down for their voyeurism, they get nasty and vicious.
FYI: It hasn't been proven that The Tourette's Guy has TS. The experts think that he is merely a foul-mouthed alcoholic. IF the "Guy" has TS, he has copralalia. Copralalia causes the person to blurt out inappropriate words, phrases, or sentences. Copralalia only occurs in 1 of 10 TS patients. People with this disorder are mortified by their behavior and often become homebound, for fear of offending others. If this amuses you, maybe YOU are the one who needs psychological help!
This doesn't mean that people with TS and OCD don't have a sense of humor. Z enjoys watching Monk. Monk's disabilities are portrayed in a realistic manner. Z recognises a few of Monk's behaviors in himself, and freely admits how ridiculous they are. Laughter can be a good therapy.

TS is a REAL disability, and is listed as such in the Americans With Disabilities Act. This CAN open some doors for your child, especially in school. Unfortunately, you'll have to fight the "powers that be" every step of the way, to open those doors. The fight is often too costly and time consuming to bother with. That's why we homeschool.

To all of you "searchers" who have lurked on this blog, feel free to contact me by email. My address is on my profile page, which can be accessed by clicking on the link under my avatar. If you're a registered blogger, please comment. Sorry, but I had to disable anonymous comments as a result of a couple of mean-spirited "trolls".

37 Comments:

At 1/21/2007 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very informative!
I've been a lazy reader/non-commenter... I'm still here though. :)

 
At 1/21/2007 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I always learn something here, but I'm a little ashamed to admit that I thought copralalia was a normal part of life for anyone with Tourette's, not 1 in 10. Problem is, I think a lot of people assume the same thing.

 
At 1/21/2007 5:11 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I've never heard of The Tourette's Guy, but living downtown I know all too well that drunks blurt out weird sh** just as often as people with copralalia. In fact I think the new Chamber of Commerce slogan should be "Downtown: It's Cheaper Than an Asylum!". ;)

Lavender is supposed to help with sleep problems, too; I use it at night. I can see why a teenage boy might not dig it. :D

 
At 1/21/2007 7:22 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Well, at least most of your searches are legit. Mine are all over the place and frequently very strange, as you may have read. Sorry you had a troll (again?). I have a lot of lurkers, too. Just wish they'd say hi for crying out loud!

 
At 1/21/2007 9:19 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Euro, there have been lots of days when I haven't had much to say either.

Courtney, don't feel bad. I had the same thoughts when Z was first diagnosed. I went straight home and started researching. Boy had I been wrong! ;)

SME, you can probably find the videos on youtube. I'm sure I'll get hits from his fans, now that I've mentioned him here. :(
Z is fine with lavender lotions and bath oil, as long as we don't go anywhere while he smells like lavender. He's not real keen on the idea of infusing his room with lavender though.

WC, I've got a few weird searches, but nothing on the scale of yours.
Yup, same "old" troll again.

 
At 1/21/2007 11:39 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

He's still at it, is he? Grrrrr!

 
At 1/22/2007 1:47 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Really interesting, tshsmom. Thanks - you're a valuable resource. I can't even count how many mothers I've spoken with who believe that they can't homeschool and especially the mothers who have kids with disabilities.

Nice entry.

 
At 1/22/2007 7:08 AM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I watched some Tourette's Guy videos and I REALLY don't think he has Tourette's, or anything else. He just gets annoyed very easily. In fact, I probably sound like that sometimes. ;D

 
At 1/22/2007 10:56 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

This is a great, informative post. I, too, thought that copralalia was a normal for TS. It seems there's no real cure, just learning to cope.

Again, I'm proud to "know" you and Scrunch for the great parenting job that you're doing.

 
At 1/22/2007 11:26 AM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

I am stunned with the last search you mention. It is so bizarre to me that it is almost beyond belief. These people need help.

 
At 1/22/2007 2:45 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Monica! The problem with TS kids is that a large percentage of them are exceptionally bright. Most Special Ed programs aren't prepared to deal with that, and the kids slip through the cracks.
I've gotten several great resources from you too. That's what's great about homeschool bloggers!

SME, maybe you've been watching too many of the downtown drunks? ;)

Thanks Squirl! *blushing*
TS usually gets progressively worse, until it peaks, usually in the mid-teen years. Then, the condition regresses back down to a manageable state. We're waiting for Z to peak, and praying that his TS will regress a bit.
Frustration, with himself, is Z's worst enemy.

ZF, I agree. I can't believe that there are people who actually flaunt their lack of empathy. :(

 
At 1/22/2007 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Lots of interesting data here. I never knew it could be this bad. To be honest I never heard of it until SME filled me in one day about Z. She had mentioned it and I really never put much thought to it. I know K doesnt have it but she has a hard time concentrating on the task at hand if there are lots of distractions for her. Her teacher has told me they have had to put up a divider to keep her at her task while doing it to get her to work. She would rather talk than do her work. I feel for you guys being in such a small town and not really haveing the resources you more than likely needed when you found out about Z.

I am not saying being a bigger city would have been any better. I mean I saw what you were talking about in the schools up there. They are not equipped for kids like Z and the rest like him. They just dont want to equip themselves for the possiblity. I hated it there. I am glad I am gone. I mean K is in special education class right now but at least they are willing to work with her and us for that matter unlike beign there. K has been working with a speech therapist and Occupational therapist for the last two years now. An occupational therapist works with ehr fine motor skills like balancing on chairs and pushing up on her arms from a laying down position and so forth.

Well I suppose. I just thought I would share some insight on what K's doing when you mentioned this. Thanks for sharing.

I do have one more question to ask before leaving today. If K's attention span doesnt go up with school in the next few years would you all suggest homeschooling her? I know they have just as many friends being home schooled as they do in school but just wondering what you all think? Let me know please. N.

 
At 1/22/2007 4:17 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, K would rather talk than work? Sounds like her Mom. heehee

Wait and see with the homeschooling. If your school's Special Ed department is doing a good job, she'll be fine.
We'll talk about this when you come home, so you know what to watch for.

 
At 1/22/2007 7:43 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Tweetey, I'm laughing hysterically right now 'cause that's EXACTLY the problem Mom had in grade school, according to my grandma: TALKING. Who would've thunk it? Heeheehee! ;D

 
At 1/22/2007 8:47 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Yup, it's true. That's the only bad marks I ever got on my report cards.

 
At 1/23/2007 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I remember. You seemed so quiet. And now look at us. LOL... I am glad you got a kick out of the last comment about K. I know it does sound funny. You have to remember when I worked at Cookies and you would come in.I would rather stand around and talk than do my darn dishes. I hated doing dishes but it was job and it paid the bills but I hated waitressing even more. So when I go back to work in the next few years after B goes to school I will have to find something other than dishes and waitressing. I dont have the patience for it.

 
At 1/23/2007 3:16 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, K is definitely YOUR daughter. ;)
You'll have a LOT more job choices where you are now! The job market here is worse than ever. :(

 
At 1/23/2007 5:11 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Oh, I forgot to add that now I know I'm not the only person who drinks weird green stuff for breakfast. :D

 
At 1/23/2007 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What funny green stuff??? LOL... I Know what you are talking about. We drink enough of that around here to give most people heart burn. I wish we drank more juice and milk. J cant have milk though. We buy his special milk for him since hes a cow dieabetic. LOL... Yes K's is my daughter. She got in trouble today at school for not paying attention. It took the teachers half an hour for her to understand her assignment. Some days I dont know what to do about it. Some days I dont think schools are ready for kids like K and Z and all the smart ones. I mean shes not dumb just stubborn. When she learns something she learns it quick and remembers it. Its getting her to sit down and do the work. I mean they are complaining because she cant cut on the line when they do art work. They have to be like an eighth off or so and that is ok but for jimmy crickets here. Shes only six. I still cant cut that perfect and I am going to be 30 on Thursday. These schools. Well anyway I was going to ask you. You mentioned Z peaking in his TS in his mid teens or so. Does that always mean kids like Z peak or do they just stay where there at sometimes? I know nothing about this so I am asking.

 
At 1/23/2007 8:54 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, he drinks it in a glass...and you KNOW what I've always said about Dew in a glass...I have a hard time not giggling.

Tweets, does the teacher know that K is in therapy for fine motor skills? Tell K that SME is a really good artist, but she couldn't cut anywhere near the lines, when she was K's age.

The majority of TS kids follow that pattern. However, everybody with TS is different. I saw a guy on Dr. Phil that didn't get copralalia until he was almost 30. Nothing about TS is certain. We just wait and see...and pray.

 
At 1/24/2007 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes teacher knows about it but still expects so much out of her. Sometimes it just makes me so mad. I will pass on the information to K about sme. I remember when we were kids she used to draw these cute little penquins. I They were from a cartoon that used to be on when we were kids. I cant remember his name right now.

They are only five and six year olds and they put in a full day of school now a days here. I dont know about up there but here they go from 8:30 am till 3:00 pm. Then K has her after school program. That goes till five thirty or when I decide to go get her. Sometimes earlier and sometimes not till almost five thirty.

Well anyway thanks for the info. I agree with european its very informative.

 
At 1/24/2007 1:42 PM, Blogger JR said...

It's amazing how many warped people are out there. How do you check how people are finding your page?

 
At 1/24/2007 1:43 PM, Blogger JR said...

It's amazing how many warped people are out there. How do you check how people are finding your page?

 
At 1/24/2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Vest said...

like Ero said I'm still here, searching for something interesting to comment on.
V V, still frying your bacon as usual, stop boozing you have comment hiccups.
WC, still unemployed and feeding off the parish? Do some unpaid voluntary work, It will prevent you from becoming a Bum.

 
At 1/24/2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Vest: for your information I am not "still unemployed and feeding off the parish" nor am I becoming a "bum". I suffer from a chronic debilitating medical condition that is currently preventing me from working. FYI, I am doing some unpaid voluntary work, not that it's really any of your business.

You ought to empathize. You obviously suffer from mental illness yourself.

Sorry for that TSHS. Had to say something in my defence.

 
At 1/24/2007 6:03 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

VV, scary, isn't it?
I emailed you instructions on checking your stats.

WC, no need to apologize. Feel free to knock his bullying ass anytime you want.

 
At 1/24/2007 11:20 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I still can't cut on the lines, heh heh.

 
At 1/25/2007 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me feel so much better now to know I am not the only adult that feels that way. You know I was talking to my mom today because she sent a b-day box to me and I was telling her about K's problems and she said they put way to much pressure on our kindergarderners today. I mean whole days of school. K goes from 8:30 am till 3 pm and that isnt including her afterschool program that runs till five thirty. I think I have went through all this already. Well anyway. I was saying I feel alot better knowing I am not the only adult that cant cut on the lines to this day. LOL... HEHEHEHE!!!!!

 
At 1/25/2007 4:34 AM, Blogger Vest said...

Ah , that's not nice, me a bully wot kind old vest, nah mate its your poor sense humor maybe you have never become acquainted with a good laugh.
I do unpaid charity work too. Three friends and myself raised a heap of dollars over the Xmas period. nine years in a row.

I was at the hospital today for about six hours, after a few hours standing my back was aching, I couldn't find a seat, I asked a boy about twelve years old if he would get a drink from the machine in the lobby and get himself one too. so I could sit in his seat for a while and rest.
His reply was "Piss off you randy old sod you're not sitting next to my mum". An ancient crone offered me her hubbies seat when he went off to see the doc, the bloke turned and said give her a hug mate, and if you like you can take her home with you. I then grabbed a girly type mag to cover the loo seat in the gents; sat for a couple of minutes then flushed an empty W C(Initials seem familiar)The next bloke in the W C(Got it now)Yells out when I am washing my hands, "Here catch; you left your sexy book behind". Not a charitable day for me today, I was not amused.

 
At 1/25/2007 4:38 AM, Blogger Vest said...

Some days are diamonds some days are stone.

 
At 1/25/2007 7:09 AM, Blogger JR said...

Amazing and stupid. I never touch alcohol. What a moron!

 
At 1/25/2007 4:06 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Well, that was...explicit. I'd pick a different hospital.

 
At 1/25/2007 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were him I would just pick a whole bunch of other woman to harrasss because the ones he is picking on dont take his crap. LOL.. I was going to say something else but refrained from saying it. Well anyway thanks for remembering my b-day. I know I had posted it but wasnt expecting anyone to really remember it. lol.. Well I have to go get some clothes on. I have been a bum all day long and now I have to go get K from school. REally dont want to walk the six blocks but have to. N.

 
At 1/25/2007 5:24 PM, Blogger Vest said...

V V, The ratio of thievery, misconduct and drunkenness within the legal industry is seven times higher in Nth America than that of the general public.

WC (The loo loo girl).
Working is like shaving (bet you do)
Neglect it and you become a bum.

 
At 1/25/2007 9:23 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Vest: You obviously have way too much time on your hands and not enough attention at home from dear wee wifey (I'm not surprised).

 
At 1/26/2007 1:53 AM, Blogger Vest said...

WC, hi loo loo. My wife Rosemary no fib just this moment kissed me and said I love you sweetie, and said I'm now going to wash the dishes. I replied I love you too, and that little scenario happens umpteen times a day, as we do have much in common.
My wife and I have known each other since Oct 1951 and have been married 54.5 yrs, Rosemary is 72, 5ft 7", an Aus size 14, 62kilos, perfect figure, beautiful features, very fit, does not smoke or drink, and never has, has given birth to 5 sons and has a beautiful mind and general disposition. Rosemary is frequently commissioned for modeling clothing for elderly old frumps when she is sometimes padded, her main work is done in the Middle aged Bimbo sector, more your type - but excluding most who visit this blog who need to be put through the blubber wringer.
We both lead an active lifestyle, and at the moment my todger is in good order, and if you ever reach 70 yrs of age and your crumpet is up to it, will be because, you detox and unjunk yourself, hiding behind the pill jar and avoiding your responsibilities is not the right path, however, the best of good fortune.

 
At 1/26/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger JR said...

I don't know about the stats in North America, but I would agree about the general misconduct and thievery in the legal profession. Although I'm sure this comment was meant as a slam to me, you'll be happy to know I fight the corruption daily and am not paid very well for my efforts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home