Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I LOVE Books!

European (www.girlwithgreencard.blogspot.com), sort of tagged me with this. I've seen this a lot of other places. Since a lot of my all time favorite books are on this list, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

*Look at the list of books below.
*Bold the ones you’ve read.
*Italicize the ones you want to read.

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)I've always meant to read some Austen...
3. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)I never understood why this wasn't required reading in my school.
4. Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the Kind(Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) I've read the whole series...TWICE....so far. I ADORE Gabaldon!!!
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)NEVER!! Irving sucks!
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)LOVED the movie!
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees(Ann-Marie MacDonald) I'm so ashamed to admit that I read this! Easily the biggest work of CRAP I've EVER read!!
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban(Rowling)My favorite in the series. I loved that Harry found someone to love him!
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) Jane was SME's first stage role.
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)Candace and I totally agree on this one. BLECH! WHY this was required reading in my high school, is beyond me!
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott) I read ALL of Alcott's works in grade school. Priceless!
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)Yes, I was the ONLY person in my high school to not read this book. I was stubborn.
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck) BLECH! I'm not a Steinbeck fan.
30. Tuesdays with Morrie(Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) So did I.
34. 1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)The Authurian legend from a woman's perspective. I LOVE this topic, but I've read better versions.
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) FANTASTIC!
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True(Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) I hadn't heard of this until I read about it on Toby's blog. Now I'm fascinated.
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. Bible(Various authors)Yes, I've read the WHOLE thing at least once.
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) I've meant to read some Tolstoy since high school. Maybe I'll get "round tuit" someday.
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)Still don't like Steinbeck!
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb) Not in THIS lifetime!! SME and L enjoyed it though.
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)My least favorite Dickens novel. Would somebody PLEASE bitch-slap Pip?!
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) Fitgerald ranks right up there with Steinbeck.
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) Life's too short!
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) One Rand was enough for me.
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) The movie was disturbing to me, so I think I'll skip this one.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) Do I get extra points for having read this in French too?
71. Bridget Jones' Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell) One of my all time FAVORITES!! A must read for students of Japanese history!
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett) Isn't this EVERY little girl's favorite?
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith) I liked the movie better.
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving) How many times do I have to say NO?
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White) How many times did we read this to you SME? I still insist that this book turned her vegan.
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck) I can't help it; Steinbeck was required reading in high school.
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) I LOVE Du Maurier, but this isn't one of her best. It beats the hell out of My Cousin Rachel though.
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams) SME and L loved this one. I wasn't impressed.
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
0. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding) A MASTERPIECE!! This SHOULD have been required reading in my high school!
93. The Good Earth(Pearl S. Buck) Another of my favorites! A must read for anyone who wants to understand the Chinese psyche! I also loved The Dragon Seed
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)SME was in a stage version of this too.
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

Labels:

28 Comments:

At 3/07/2007 6:02 PM, Blogger Sonja said...

Okay. I just now realized that I've read "Fall on your knees" before. It sounded so familiar reading the list, but I couldn't place it until reading your comment. You are so right!

 
At 3/07/2007 7:36 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

I love books. I might just check out some of these the next time I got to the library. That is when I pay my fine off. We lost a book when moved into the house and then I had some books over x-mas that got brought back at the end of Jan that were suppose to go back at the beginning. I just lost track of time. It happens right??? LOL..

 
At 3/07/2007 8:54 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Looks like I've got more reading to do than I thought. That Pearl S. Buck book looks interesting....I'll start there.

And, yes, we WILL feel younger once our DVD's arrive. I'l let you know what my girls think.

Can't wait.....

:-D

 
At 3/07/2007 10:04 PM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Goodness! Apparently I've not read enough. :-P

 
At 3/07/2007 10:39 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

This is hilarious! "Atlas Shrugged...So did I." ;D
"Would somebody PLEASE bitch-slap Pip?!" XD

But "Irving sucks"?! OMG, I knew it - I'm adopted and you never told me!!

And how can you NOT like Watership Down? I'm telling Sophie.

 
At 3/08/2007 6:10 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

What a list! I too, loved "The Good Earth." Also all of Tolkien's books. For some wierd reason, could not make it through "Watership Down." ?

 
At 3/08/2007 7:40 AM, Blogger JR said...

Okay, you already know I've read all of Gabaldon's books at least 6 times each. Love every one of them! If you're keeping track of all our similarities, I've also read The Little Prince in French. It was assigned reading for my French class. Here are my recommendations for good reading: 60. The Time Traveller's Wife. It took me a few pages to get used to the jumping around in time, but it's a good read. 64. Interview with a Vampire. I normally don't watch movies or read books that are gory or deal with monsters, but I was taken in by the quality of the writing and the story lines in Rice's Vampire series. I've read each through Queen of the Damned. 94. The Secret Life of Bees is a great summertime read. Nice story, good characters, easy to pick up and put down as time allows. 98. A Woman of Substance. I've read a number of Bradford's books, including this one. I even wrote a poem incorporating lines from one of her character's speech's and corresponded with her to get permission to publish my poem with her character's line's in it. She writes very three-dimensional characters. She has a series of books based on the same family in different generations. A Woman of Substance is about the Matriarch of the family. Okay, find a used book store and pick up some of these and let me know what you think.

 
At 3/08/2007 1:04 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

We have used book stores here.LOL.. I just might go check them out when I get back out that way. When you both get a minute I wrote or should I say typed up 45 books that I have read and can remember the authors off the top of my head last night. Well I had to write them down first on a piece of paper because I slightly cheated. I had to use the internet. I had to look up the authors and read through the books that I have read. LOL. It was funny. Well gotta run for now.

 
At 3/08/2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

Wow. I was going to do this challenge but after a quick scroll--that's a lot of work! I have read more than half of the titles.

 
At 3/08/2007 3:13 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I'm bad, because a lot of those I saw as movies and never got around to reading the books. Lord of the Rings and Watership Down for instance. I see you didn't ready A Handmaid's Tale either, so I don't feel too bad. ;)

 
At 3/08/2007 6:38 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

funny, we have a lot of similar interests in reading material, with the exception of Harry Potter. A few brief thoughts.

I like Steinbeck, especially "Of Mice And Men" and "Grapes Of Wrath"

"Rebecca": One of the few instances where the movie is way better than the book. Ditto "Gone With The Wind"

I agree totally with your accessment of Jonathan Irving. When I read "Garp", I actually tore out each page as I read it, so no one else would be tempted to read that shit.

how could you not love "Catcher In The Rye? Must be a guy book.

"Tale Of Two Cities": My all time favorite book, just ahead of Hemmingway's "A Farewell To Arms"

I did notice that there isn't any Mitchner on this list. Hey European.. whats up with that?

 
At 3/08/2007 7:12 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

OMG, don't get her started on "A Farewell to Arms". Gotta admit I don't like Hemingway's novels, either. His short stories are great, but "The Sun Also Rises"...ugh. "Let's get drunk in France. Let's get drunk in Spain. Look, there's a bullfight. I think I'm drunk." ;P

Alright, so apparently no one else here is gonna stick up for Irving. The cheese stands alone.

 
At 3/08/2007 7:15 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I'm going to have to do this one.

It's interesting what people have and haven't read. I love how you have such definite opinions and the books.
:-)

 
At 3/08/2007 8:55 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hey dont insult the cheese Sme. Remember the state of Wi is the cheese place. We are the only ones walking around with Cheese hats on our heads during the Football Season. LOL...

 
At 3/08/2007 9:41 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Oops, that's right...I forgot that in Wisconsin, the cheese never ever stands alone! ;)

 
At 3/09/2007 10:44 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

LOL.. Sorry had to do that one to you sme. No offense taken. I just thought my comment was funny but not usually it doesnt. LOL.. You should see the cheese hats at football games. We live where the stadium is but have never been inside it. We watch the game from home. In the comfort of our own home and dont have to fight for a stall at the bathrooms. LOL...

 
At 3/09/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

I started on this and got overwhelmed - maybe will be able to finish up this weekend (LOL, not reading, just sorting which.)

 
At 3/09/2007 2:06 PM, Blogger hannah said...

many wonderful books, other than "she's come undone". do NOT EVER read that damn book, i almost slit my own wrists.
i like most of the ones on that list that i have read, for classes or on my own time. i love to read, but i find myself immersed more in fiction than in the good classics

 
At 3/09/2007 2:48 PM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

I tried to read Ulysses. really.

 
At 3/09/2007 5:24 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Euro, I WISH I could forget reading that piece of tripe!

Tweets, OOPS! ;)

Cherie, my order shipped; DVD on its way!!

Notta, do we EVER read enough?

SME, I'm cute, huh? You knew I didn't like Irving, and you're not lucky enough to be adopted. ;)

Gardenia, me neither. I wasn't even overly fond of the movie.

VV, that's the same reason I read "Le Petite Prince".
OK, I'll try your suggestions. I'm still not sure about "Interview" though. L and SME love the books. I THINK we still have them on our bookshelves, UNLESS SME ran off with them.
I DID enjoy "The Historian" which is also a vampire book.

Sadie, this post did take a while. The list has a LOT of goodies, doesn't it?

ZS, I usually like to read the book, before I see the movie. Then I wind up griping about how they ruined the book. Maybe I should start watching the movies first? ;)

GWB, I loved Rebecca, the movie, too. The book just didn't grip me. DuMaurier is one of my favorite authors, but she has written a few duds.
Yeah, I think Salinger and Hemingway are BOTH guy things. I ABHOR Hemingway!
I love what you did to Garp. I didn't like the movie, so I sure as hell wasn't about to read the book.
I should have tore out the pages to Fall On Your Knees. Then I would've gotten SOME enjoyment out of the book. ;)
Yeah, why wasn't there any Michener on the list? I ADORE Michener!!!

SME, aw c'mon. I've never ranted about A Farewell to Arms.....much. Ya just gotta love Hemingway, the drunk necropheliac. ;)
It looks like my friends have good taste when it comes to Irving.

Hannah, I agree! I have no desire to read that book. My daughter and husband liked it...weirdos. ;)
I felt the same way about Fall On Your Knees. A total waste of time, plus you feel violated after reading it. :(

ZF, you're a librarian; it's your duty! ;)

Squirl, our family LOVES discussing books, and we're all quite opinionated about what we like. L takes it quite personally that I don't like Atlas Shrugged or Great Expectations. ;)

 
At 3/09/2007 5:42 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Nope, not lucky enough to be adopted. ;)

 
At 3/09/2007 6:01 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Sme you look more like your father so if anyone ever tried to tell you were adopted something is wrong there.LOL...

And Tshsmom what was the OOPs about?? Just curious. Tweets.

 
At 3/09/2007 9:29 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

so which is your favorite Mitchner book? I am torn between THE COVENANT and CHESAPEAKE. Also loved HAWAII (required reading in hs American Lit class), CENTENIAL, and SPACE.

 
At 3/09/2007 10:02 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

GWB, Hawaii is my favorite. Followed by The Source, Chesapeake, Centennial, Caribbean and Alaska. We have Space, but I haven't read it yet. Your HS lit. class sounds a lot more fun than mine.
Do you like John Jakes too?

Tweets, OOPS, you lost track of your books.

SME, looks like you're stuck with us. ;)

 
At 3/10/2007 4:32 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

with the exception of Charleston, I have never been a big fan of his books, although they seem to translate amazingly well into tv miniseries (I loved all three North and South miniseries).

 
At 3/13/2007 6:31 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

GWB, I liked them all except California Gold. Historical fiction is my favorite genre.

 
At 3/14/2007 12:50 AM, Blogger C said...

I might have to rip this off! :)

Oooh, Catcher in teh Rye. Blech, blech blech. I want back those hours spent reading it. And I was dumb enough to read it twice, once as required reading, once as an adult to see if I'd "missed something." (no, it was still crap, LOL!)

 
At 3/14/2007 3:38 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Candace, please rip this off. I'd love to read your opinions!
I must be a tad bit smarter than you, because I would NEVER re-read Catcher in the Rye! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home