Wednesday, May 09, 2007

For My Love!


In honor of our 30th anniversary, I've compiled a list of 100 things I love about my husband.
I wrote these as they came to mind. They're not in order of importance, except the first two.

1) He's put up with ME for 30 years!
2) He's a TERRIFIC Dad!
3) We work well together on home improvement projects.
4) His sense of humor!
5) That he's smart enough to let ME handle the money.
6) He overcame his fear of large dogs for me.
7) He's a reader!
8) He cried when SME moved to Edmonton.
9) He loves camping.
10) He tolerates my parents.
11) He can calm a crying baby when nobody else can.
12) He can walk in the woods for hours.
13) We have the same tastes in home decor.
14) He isn't ANYTHING like his family!
15) He can argue both sides of any issue.
16) Home and family are EVERYTHING to him!
17) He can't stand professional sports!
18) He would get mad when people would see him with the kids and ask him if he was "babysitting".
19) He'll always stop to enjoy the beauty of a sunset. In fact, he usually has to take a picture too.
20) He has NEVER forgotten a birthday or anniversary.
21) He has always loved my cooking.
22) I turned him into a Christmas freak!
23) He'd give his life for me or the kids.
24) He brags about my talents.
25) He filled in the skunk's den.
26) He's proud of my pyromania.
27) He's WAY more overprotective of the kids than I am.
28) He likes to shop!
29) He ALWAYS kisses me goodbye.
30) He sticks to our rule that the last one out of bed(him), makes the bed.
31) We've NEVER argued about money!
32) He has a very strong work ethic.
33) SME will ALWAYS be "Daddy's little girl" to him!
34) He loves to BBQ.
35) He had no problem with his daughter playing with trucks and legos, and his son playing with dolls.
36) I love the way we complement each other; his strengths are my weaknesses and vice versa.
37) His favorite part of camping is sitting by the fire with me at the end of the day. If there's a fire ban, he doesn't want to go camping.
38) He taught me that the most important family we have is the 2 of us and our kids.
39) He shares my love of candles.
40) He would NEVER be unfaithful.
41) He's honest.
42) He proved to his family that he can love a son as much as a daughter!
43) Practically everything he knows, he taught himself.
44) He's worked a LOT of shit jobs to keep a roof over our heads.
45) He has filmed hours of squirrel and chipmunk videos.
46) He views our vehicles as transportation, rather than an extension of his dick.
47) He started the truck and scraped the windshield for me at 5:30 a.m. for 24 winters.
48) He doesn't do anything for show. He's the real deal!
49) When we were going together, he drove me home when I was too drunk to drive, and WALKED 10 miles back home.
50) He loves museums and zoos.
51) While on an out of town singing gig, when we were dating, he called me at 2 a.m. to tell me he turned down the advances of a girl who followed him to his motel room.
52) He appreciates that I don't waste money on beauty treatments and "cute" shoes.
53) He enjoys romantic comedies.
54) He knows me better than ANYONE!
55) He changes diapers!
56) He's a whiz at fixing toilets and doorknobs!
57) He's grateful that I eloped with him and didn't care about a fancy wedding.
58) He doesn't understand men who MUST go "out with the guys", or couples who take separate vacations.
59) He read, and enjoyed, my Diana Gabaldon books.
60) He taught me to say "NO" to the demands of others.
61) He'll carry my purse when my hands are full...not for long though.
62) He won't tolerate misogyny.
63) He always makes sure that the birdfeeder is full, so we can enjoy watching the birds from our kitchen window.
64) He'll stay outside, watching other people's kids when their parents are too stupid to watch them.
65) He stayed with Boo, when she was put to sleep, when I couldn't handle it.
66) He defers to me in decorating projects. He can't visualize how something will turn out. He's often questioned my sanity when planning a project, but he always loves the end result.
67) He agreed to our green couch, even though he hates green.
68) We share all the toys we own. Now THAT'S compatibility!
69) He will buy tampons for me.
70) He doesn't complain about me watching TV to fall asleep.
71) He loves photography as much as I do.
72) He doesn't want to kill nuisance mice, even though I DO!
73) He brings me a blanket when I'm watching TV in my chair.
74) He's BRILLIANT with computers!
75) The first thing he'd do, when he got home from work when the kids were small, is pick them up for a hug.
76) He has a strong belief in our legal system, even when it's wrong.
77) He's so laid back that he doesn't even get shook in an emergency.
78) He's extremely patient with Z, when teaching him computer stuff. He never says "I told you so", even when Z's smartassed teenaged attitude overrides his brain.
79) He'll clean up the mouse corpses that I kill, even though he doesn't agree with killing them.
80) He built in our portable dishwasher in our old house while I was at work. I didn't want to sacrifice the cupboard space. I loved it, and he's never let me hear the end of it.
81) When we were dating, he wanted to go to the drive-in to watch the movies...even the dusk to dawn features. He's a big fan of cheesy B movies. I think we were the only people at the drive-in who were actually watching the movies.
82) He NEVER holds a grudge.
83) He'll always admit when I'm right.
84) He loves it when I'm wrong....although this rarely happens. ;)
85) He never blames his problems on his terrible childhood.
86) He's rarely yelled at the kids.
87) He developed gastritis when SME's marriage fell apart. His stomach problems didn't go away until he saw SME in person, and knew that she was in a new, safe relationship.
88) He loves to rub our relationship in his ex-wife's face.
89) He's always been more comfortable talking to women than men.
90) He judges people's homes by how many books they have.
91) He doesn't have a cruel bone in his body.
92) Kids and animals love him.
93) He attended my mother's family reunion....ONCE. He and Z refuse to EVER do that again!
94) My Grandma adored him!
95) He hasn't touched my houseplants since the great plant disaster of '79.
96) He calls my spider plant "sir"....it scares him.
97) He knows I love appliances, tools, and gadgets as gifts.
98) He loves high-quality animated movies. He's a kid at heart.
99) He appreciates our simple lifestyle.
100) He still manages to surprise me, even though we've been married forever.

Maybe for Father's Day I'll write a list of the 200 things he does that drive me nuts

36 Comments:

At 5/09/2007 2:37 PM, Blogger hannah said...

that's so sweet! i think i may have the sniffles.
congratulations on your wonderful catch, and i wish you both all the happiness in the world

 
At 5/09/2007 3:13 PM, Blogger JR said...

Congrats on 30 years!!! That's impressive! M and I will celebrate 7 years next Thursday. Maybe I'll do a similar list for her. Here are my reactions to some of your points: 6 - large dogs. Could you forward this one to M? She's still working on this. 18 - Major pet peave of mine - NOBODY can babysit their own children. Bravo for finding a man who understands that. 36 - M & I compliment each other too. 46 - Ext of the Dick - LOL 49 - Walking 10 miles! What a guy! Definitely a keeper. 59 - Diana Gabaldon books! Okay, he should play the role of Jaime in the movie version of the books. ;-)

 
At 5/09/2007 3:22 PM, Blogger none said...

Congrats on 30 years. any thoughts on getting him considered for sainthood ;)

 
At 5/09/2007 3:39 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Hannah!

VV, it figures that our anniversaries are a week apart! Our actual anniversary is tomorrow.
Send M up here! She needs to meet my parent's dog, Shadow. She's already converted a couple of dog-hating cat-lovers.
L always said the same thing. He gets mad at guys that complain about having to babysit their kids.

I started taking a serious look at L, after he walked home that night. I didn't realize that we loved each other until then. He wouldn't let me drink Black Russians for about 10 years after that episode.

He's too short to play Jaime. Besides, I don't want them to ruin the books by filming them.

Thanks Hammer! He's asked me where to apply...several times. ;)

 
At 5/09/2007 4:34 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Happy Anniversary even though its late. I think it was on the 5th from one of the tags we did a while back. LOL. I have this thing with dates and numbers. I have tears running down my face realizing how well you have it. A great husband and father to your children. Dont ever let him slip away. The more I read this blog the more I wish Sme and I would have done more than just slumber parties together in school. I really dont know you guys all that well like I wish I did. Well have to go get Kora from school. Will give an update on the home schooling thing later this week. I talked to an aquaintance that home schools her kids today and she gave me some more info on it.

 
At 5/09/2007 5:50 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

What a great list, and a great post, TSHS! Congratulations on 30 years of togetherness.

#46 totally cracked me up.

You are so lucky. I hope I'm that lucky one day.

 
At 5/09/2007 6:23 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, it's tomorrow.
We've worked HARD to keep our marriage together! It's never easy living with another person. We drive each other crazy sometimes.
You and J will be the same way in 20 years, IF you compromise and work out your problems together. Every hurdle you cross will make your marriage stronger.

Thanks WC!
LOL, when L talks to a bunch of guys who are having a pissing contest about whose car is better, he just says "Mine gets me from point A to point B".

I AM lucky. I almost let him get away. Although there are days when I'd gladly GIVE him away! ;)

 
At 5/09/2007 7:16 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Aw, this is awesome!! 25, 26, and 96 cracked me up.

 
At 5/09/2007 7:19 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Oh, and 45 and 72...is it any wonder I love rodents? ;D

 
At 5/09/2007 9:51 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, D and the kids were impressed with my pyromania too.

Yeah, it's hereditary. Dad used to chew Boo out for killing chipmunks and shrews too. That didn't stop her though. ;)

 
At 5/09/2007 11:51 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Okay, now I'm getting goosebumps. Eerie the sameness between Tom and L. #46 cracked me up, too, one because of your choice of words, and two, because Tom's the same way: A to B.

I hope you have shown this list to L, and maybe printed it up for a keepsake. It's beautiful!!

Thanks for the glimpse into one of the world's best husbands, dads, and all around GREAT GUY!!

Happy 30th!!!

 
At 5/09/2007 11:56 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Wonderful list and Happy 30th Anniversary to you both!

 
At 5/10/2007 7:07 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

I suppose the boss still isnt giving you the day off as she promised? I would just say screw that noise but you need a job to keep going. Hope it all goes well. Have a great day.

 
At 5/10/2007 8:30 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Awesome post. The picture and the list, well done.

 
At 5/10/2007 9:50 AM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

That's the sweetest blog post ever, although the Father's day list intrigues me greatly.

 
At 5/10/2007 4:18 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Cherie, YOU gave ME goosebumps by saying that. I guess we shouldn't be surprised though.
It looks like neither of our guys will go through a mid-life crisis and buy a Corvette, huh? ;)

L read it last night. His response to me this morning? "What 200 things drive you crazy?" Oh brother!!

I'll have L read your comment. He'll get a kick out of it!
THANKS!!

Thanks Monica!

Tweets, he just wanted to get off at 6, instead of 8. Not gonna happen. So far it's looking good for taking off when SME is here though.

Thanks Scott!
I'm sure that you and Crystal will make it this long too!

Thanks ZF!
I bet I could write the Father's Day post in less time! It took me 2 weeks to write this one. ;)

 
At 5/10/2007 5:00 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

That is a start because only if sme would just give me the dates we could get our motel room reserved and then all we have to do is find the gas money have J take the time off to get up there and back. LOL...

 
At 5/10/2007 5:16 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, she gave the dates in the comments on her blog, last week.
They'll be HERE July 8-12.

 
At 5/10/2007 8:37 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Well, I sure could forgive him for being messy - he sounds like a super good man........I loved the picture, its so cute! 30 years! It goes by fast doesn't it? Yet sometimes seems so far away at the same time.

 
At 5/10/2007 9:28 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Wow... congratulations & happy anniversary!

 
At 5/10/2007 10:03 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Yep, it's looking like the 8th - 12th.

 
At 5/11/2007 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was awed, impressed and more in love when I read this, and I have to respond that I only need a half a reason to love you...you're the other HALF OF ME...I couldn't and wouldn't be who and what I am without you.

 
At 5/11/2007 6:41 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

That is so sweet L. Ok thanks I didnt see them. I will let J know when he comes home and we will look for a motel when he comes home also.

 
At 5/11/2007 8:04 AM, Blogger Pam said...

Happy 30th! Wow. That doesn't happen very often anymore. I loved your list. He sounds like a true romantic and a wonderful dad. Oh, and I love that he calls your spider plant "sir."

 
At 5/11/2007 12:53 PM, Blogger Sonja said...

Awww. That's sweet. Congrats!!!

 
At 5/11/2007 1:54 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Gardenia, love is the ONLY thing that keeps me from killing the slob! ;)
I look at the picture and wonder WHO are those KIDS? Some days it seems like yesterday, other days it feels like we've been married forever....I like BOTH those feelings.

Thanks Laura!

Scrunch, we DO complete each other, don't we? I LOVE YOU!!

Thanks Pam!
Actually, he's not very romantic, but he DOES have his moments.
LOL, L always says that he's afraid the babies on my spider plant will reach out and strangle him in his sleep.

Thanks Sonja!

 
At 5/11/2007 3:23 PM, Blogger R said...

Awww, that's so sweet! Congratulations!

 
At 5/11/2007 5:45 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

So how was your one-hour anniversary? :)

 
At 5/11/2007 8:43 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks ~r!

SME, we stretched it to 3 hours. I didn't get to bed until 11 *gasp*!

 
At 5/12/2007 12:03 AM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Congrads!

He can walk in the woods for hours.

Very cool.

He can't stand professional sports!

Well, that's probably a good thing because he's not a Vikings fan. ;)

He ALWAYS kisses me goodbye.

Good tip.

He had no problem with his daughter playing with trucks and legos, and his son playing with dolls.

Legos rule. I wish I could find a girl to play Legos with.

He views our vehicles as transportation, rather than an extension of his dick.

I respect guys like this. Means he has nothing to prove. :)

He's grateful that I eloped with him and didn't care about a fancy wedding.

Las Vegas for us. $70 total.

When we were going together, he drove me home when I was too drunk to drive, and WALKED 10 miles back home.

Wow!

He loves photography as much as I do.

Very cool.

Kids and animals love him.

Well, kids can be wrong but animals almost never are. :)

He loves high-quality animated movies. He's a kid at heart.

Me too.

 
At 5/12/2007 7:56 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks ZS!
$70, no shit?! We spent more than that just for the license($25), witnesses($10), and the physical($25 apiece) we were required to get!

Maybe SME will run down and play legos with you. ;)
She loved making miniature houses and worlds. Z likes making mechanical gizmos and vehicles.

 
At 5/12/2007 10:32 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Zombie you are welcome to share my girls.They have two thousand legos in the basement. LOL.. Those tiny legos. Kora doesnt know how to build anything with them exactly. J helps her but she takes it apart right away. It just fustrates him sometimes I think.

 
At 5/12/2007 2:39 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

The only downside to Legos is stepping on them in the middle of the night, tho that might have some kind of Shiatsu-type effect.

 
At 5/12/2007 10:14 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SME, All I got from stepping on your legos, in the middle of the night, was a heel spur. :(

 
At 5/12/2007 11:07 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

You both are so very lucky, and I'm so glad that you are!! Tons of love and congratulations on 30 years....((((()))))

 
At 5/13/2007 7:25 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Bridg!
Looking back on our marriage, I guess we were just meant to be. Destiny can be freaky. ;)
I'm glad you're home, safe and sound! (((hugs)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home