Thursday, May 03, 2007

Tweety Strikes Again.

Hammer's 500 meme
whenyouronlytoolisahammer.blogspot.com


1. What is the stupidest mistake you have ever made with money?
Me? You're kidding, right?
I've always had to work hard for my money, therefore I've always been VERY careful how I spend it. My rule of thumb has always been: If it isn't on sale, don't buy it! My guys constantly tease me about this, but they admit that I get a LOT for our money.
I guess the biggest mistake I've made is passing up a $99/person flight to Las Vegas around 22 years ago. We had friends, who managed the Stardust Camperland. We could have stayed for free with them. We found out later that they could've got front row FREE tickets for all the shows at the Stardust. L doesn't like to fly, so we passed up the offer. I'm still giving him shit about it.

2. Do you think taxes are unfair or do you think it's your civic duty?
L has always said:"Don't bitch about taxes if you use our highways, libraries, parks, zoos, museums, police and fire protection!" I agree that our taxes do go for a LOT of good. I also think the whole system needs revamping. We need to hold our public figures more accountable for how they spend our money.
We also need a more equitable tax system. I've always thought that a 10% flat tax for everybody, with no deductions would be the fair way to collect taxes.

3. Do you take risks and possibly turn your life upside down for new opportunity?

Not since we had SME...almost 30 years ago. Having a roof over our heads and food on the table has always been more important, to me, than excitement.

4. Are you the alpha in your household? (Include pets)
Unfortunately, yes. L doesn't want the job, as his organizational skills SUCK!
Our pets have always been well trained. It's impossible to effectively train an animal if they don't acknowledge your superiority, so I guess that answers that question too.

5. Do you compromise with your significant other or does someone always get their way?
In my opinion, we compromise. L might tell a different story.

6. What curse word do you use most often?
SHIT!

7. Do you easily change your mind or are you dead set on most issues?
It depends on the issue. I have a few basic rules, or morals, that I live by. The rest is open to debate. I've always been able to debate both sides of any issue.

8. What famous person would you like to trade places with for one week?
I like ME! I enjoy my life, most of the time. We've made huge sacrifices to live the lifestyle we are comfortable with. WHY would I want to live in someone else's messed up life?

9. If you could go back in time and tell one person off, who would it be and what would you say?
Our ex-son-in-law, and his parents. We took a LOT of shit from them, just to keep peace in the family and make life easier for our daughter.
What would I say? "I can't stand a LIAR! Get over yourselves and tell the TRUTH for a change, you pathetic pieces of shit!"

10. Were you a good student or did you do just enough to get by?
I graduated in the top ten people, in a class of 302.
The only thing I got bad grades in was deportment; I talked too much, at inappropriate times. I also got a C in sewing; the dumb teacher wouldn't do it the right(my) way!

11. If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out on their own, what would you tell them?
Learn how to COOK; it's becoming a dying art! You'll save a fortune, be healthier, and have a happier family life.
Make a budget, and stick to it! Live within your means. Overwhelming debt is a disease that is almost impossible to shake.

12. Are people basically good and honest or are most people opportunistic and predatory?
Despite the headlines, I believe that the majority of people are good and honest. It's always the few who make life miserable for the majority.

13. Is there somebody you wish you could go back and apologize to?
My maternal grandmother. She died when I was 5, and I was always scared of her. She would just sit in a chair, smiling at me. Every time I'd get close to her, she'd try to grab me and hug me. She creeped me out.
Now I know that she had given up on life after her kids left home. She couldn't handle the prospect of living the rest of her life with my abusive asshole of a grandfather.
Grandma sat down and waited for death. It only took her 10 years. I didn't realize that I was the joy of her life. I would give ANYTHING to go back, sit on her lap, give her a hug, and tell her I loved her! I didn't know. I was just a little kid. I pray that she knows how sorry I am for avoiding her. I'll tell her all of this....someday.


Now I'm supposed to tag 3 people.
I think everybody I know has done this one, or been tagged.

If you haven't done it; TAG, YOU'RE IT!

16 Comments:

At 5/04/2007 5:52 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Tshsmom, that last one got me tearing up. This was a great response....your grandma knows. First, she's in heaven and second, having raised kids, she must know how kids can be.

Give yourself a break, sweetie, you were so little!!

((((((((hugs))))))))

 
At 5/04/2007 6:13 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

You have a lot of wisdom.

 
At 5/04/2007 7:30 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Great answers, TSHS. I'm totally with you on the learning to cook thing; it IS a dying art. Funny how that should be. I am so grateful I both know how to an enjoy cooking. I have my mom to thank for that.

 
At 5/04/2007 7:33 PM, Blogger none said...

Good ones. Maybe we could nominate you to clean up government spending :)

 
At 5/04/2007 8:25 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Bridg, I didn't have the bond with her, that I had with my paternal Grandma, so I can't tell, for sure, if she knows. I'm hoping that my other Grandma explained me to her. ;)

I've been meaning to do a post on this Grandma. Writing it out has great healing powers for me.

Jeannie, I don't know about wisdom, but I have WAY too much common sense. It can be a curse sometimes.

WC, I had to force SME to learn to cook. As a teen, she resented it...NOW, she's grateful. ;)

Hammer, I've ALWAYS said that we need more "poor" people, like me, in our gov't. The rich people, who are in power now, have obviously never had to live within their means or balance a realistic budget. :(
Yes, I could separate the necessities from the frivolous(and ridiculous) items in our gov't! It's all a matter of common sense...and honesty!

 
At 5/04/2007 9:49 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Great post. I like this one. I had so many great memories with my grandma and great grandma. Kora gets mad when I start telling I remember when stories to her. She doesnt understand yet to why I do these things. LOL.. Have a good weekend. N.

 
At 5/05/2007 12:42 AM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I loved this post!

L has always said:"Don't bitch about taxes if you use our highways, libraries, parks, zoos, museums, police and fire protection!"

Agree with L.

Unfortunately, yes. L doesn't want the job

I don't blame him. I don't get off on being the Alpha. it's too much work.

I also got a C in sewing; the dumb teacher wouldn't do it the right(my) way!

Lol!

Learn how to COOK; it's becoming a dying art! You'll save a fortune, be healthier, and have a happier family life.
Make a budget, and stick to it! Live within your means. Overwhelming debt is a disease that is almost impossible to shake.


All good advice, especially the cooking. It is a dying art.

Don't worry about your Grandmother. She knows, and she's smiling at you now. :)

 
At 5/05/2007 2:21 AM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Oh wow, that last one brought tears to my eyes. You shouldn't blame yourself...you didn't know.

I should have added on mine that Sophie's the priority around here, but doesn't ALWAYS get her way. She's trained. Just spoiled.

I thought of mentioning the debt advice, too, but who would take it? Everyone thinks they're going to strike it rich and pay off their massive debt loads in one swoop. It's sad.

 
At 5/05/2007 3:49 AM, Blogger La Cremiere said...

I didn't realise you were SME's mom!!! That's so cool.

I loved some of your replies, esp. the one about your grandma. Kitem and I also mentioned her dad, because he loved us so much, but I always thought he was a grumpy old man until he died two years ago, then we looked back and realised how much he had loved us but was to shy to show it. Now we wish so hard we could bring him back to tell him we love him.

And that comment on your teacher who could not do it the right way (your way) just made me laugh out loud, bloody teachers... hahaha

 
At 5/05/2007 9:51 AM, Blogger Gardenia said...

I'm having a mushy morning and a few tears fell on #13. and I agree with bridget jones - grandma knew and she knows. As YOU know the love of parents and grandparents for their children and grandchildren is not limited by what they get from the kids, but that love knows no bounds - no conditions - its just there - it's LOVE! Her lasting gift to you was that you know that she loved you so!

Great answers - you are so totally down to earth, thanks for being my bloggy friend.

 
At 5/05/2007 12:37 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, keep telling the stories; they're the girls' heritage!

ZS, L always quotes Cosby on the boss question:"Yes, my wife is the boss at our house. I tried it once; I don't want the job!" ;)

SME, the sad look in her eyes still haunts me. I pray that she found peace. I just hope she doesn't have to spend eternity with great-grandpa! She was a kind, gentle person and didn't deserve his abuse!
You look so much like her. ;)

Yeah, our pets have always been spoiled, but they always listen to ME.

LC, yup, that's our baby girl!
Experiences like that have taught me not to miss an opportunity to tell my loved ones how much they mean to me!

Gardenia, I DO feel her love now! I just wish I could have given her the joy of receiving love back. :(

I'm definitely down to earth. My daughter always says I'm TOO practical. ;)
I'm sooo glad we found each other in the blog world!

 
At 5/06/2007 5:02 AM, Blogger Vest said...

will be driving through your 1 h t next wednesday incognito

 
At 5/06/2007 8:54 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

SURE you will Vest!
Maybe you have a bridge you'd like to sell me too?

 
At 5/07/2007 1:18 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Okay, tshs, time for you to write a book on Practical LIving and Loving. This was a great post!

I echo the sentiments in this comment forum about your granny. Lump in the throat and yes, she understood. She understood.

 
At 5/07/2007 4:35 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Cherie!
I've always loved to write. I wanted to be a fiction writer when I was younger. I tried, but I always had HUGE holes in my plots...or maybe it was my perfectionism.
Now, I'd love to have the time to write a book on simplifying your life. They always say to "write what you know"! ;)

 
At 5/07/2007 5:19 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Directions? OK!
Get in your car and head east. When you hit the ocean, KEEP DRIVING. Hang a left when you hit land.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home