Friday, February 27, 2009

Since My Last Post....

We discovered that our friend was probably murdered.

I lost a classmate to cancer. I wasn't very close to this person, but I was good friends with her twin sister.

My cousin, whose husband is dying of lung cancer, broke her foot and is confined to a wheelchair. Last week she lost her aunt to Alzheimer's. I don't know how, but she still retains her upbeat attitude. You're my hero J!!

The 12-yr-old great-grandson of my parents' neighbor is in intensive care after rolling a snowmobile 6 times. His skull was crushed. The police report says that "speed was a factor". No shit Sherlock!! What were the parents thinking when they let a 12-yr-old drive a sled, capable of 100 mph speeds, unsupervised?

Our little town lost 40 jobs, that paid over minimum wage with benefits, last week. I imagine most of those people will leave town.

We got 9 more inches of snow on Monday and another inch yesterday. This morning it was -15F and it will remain below zero through the weekend. Starting Monday the forecast calls for warmer temps and 5 more days of SNOW!

I really NEEDED to accomplish something worthwhile, so I finally tackled the 2 overflowing baskets of mending I'd been ignoring for the past 3 years. I patched 15 pairs of jeans for me and 12 pairs for L. I also patched 6 insulated flannel shirts for L and fixed a seam on a sweatshirt I had forgotten I owned.

Now that the mending is out of the way, I bought material to sew desperately needed new curtains for the kitchen. The best part is I got the material for $3.99/yd! Now that we've chosen the color for the curtains, we can now pick a paint color for the kitchen. I brought paint color cards home from Menards yesterday. This weekend we'll make our final color choice. Once the painting is done, we'll be able to install new flooring. I also picked out the laminate flooring that we'll buy as soon as our tax refund arrives. Check out my post from May 23, 2007 for a picture of the sad state of our kitchen floor. It hasn't improved any in the past 2 years, trust me.

I'd like to refinish the kitchen cupboard doors this summer, but I don't think I'll have the time. We have to re-side, at least, the back of the house. We're hoping that the siding on the front and ends of the house will last until next summer. We also MUST build a new computer desk for ourselves...AND replace the front door....AND build a workbench for the garage since we already have the materials...time, and money, will tell....

17 Comments:

At 2/27/2009 4:29 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Oh my God, what an unbearable amount of bad news and tragedy...

 
At 2/27/2009 5:47 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

I don't think I'll feel good about whining for the next while.

Survive - there are still good times ahead.

 
At 2/27/2009 6:07 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

WC, 2009 hasn't been a good year so far. :(

Jeannie, go ahead and whine, I think I'm done for now.

The closest I've come to fun this year is when I went shopping for curtain material and paint cards. I need a life!

 
At 2/27/2009 8:34 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Yikes mom.. That is sad.. But just think of the good things happening in your life too though. You got to see the adopted grandkids, Jeff and I and you will more than likely see SME and Doug this summer.. Its not a total waste of a year.. But still crappy in the long run. Hope you get to all those projects. I have to go through the girls clothes and see what fits and what doesnt fit.. Yikes.. That is a chore sometimes.

 
At 2/27/2009 9:30 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

So sorry about the tragedies. I have to say that I admire you. You work hard and you do so much with so little money. You're one tough lady.
:-)

 
At 2/27/2009 9:57 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Egad, what a month! A horrible way to get the mending done - but I often tackle projects to get my mind off disasterous times....

I'm meeting people now everyday that are in dire straights because of layoffs - today a young friend with five children, she is trying to support family while husband sinks deeper into non-employment and depression - feel so sorry for them

 
At 2/27/2009 10:10 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Talk about life piling on! Good grief. I'm sorry about all the loss you are experiencing, Tshs. Tragedy for sure. Surely the pendulum will swing up the other way now.

I wish I could grab ahold of you through the computer monitor and pull you into springtime for a while.

As we speak my sister-in-law's mom is dying from heart failure and my precious auntie is dying from complications due to Alzheimer's. That's two...

Heavy hearts here in Oregon to match yours out there in the Deep Freeze.

Hugs to you!

 
At 2/28/2009 8:55 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Tweets, SME and Doug's visit will be the bright spot of our year! I don't know if they'll be able to make it over your way. SME wants to go to southern MN to see her godfather before he dies.

Squirl, I do what's necessary to survive. The toughness is a facade that frequently cracks. :(

Gardenia, I listened to movies on the DVD player while I sewed my little heart out...very therapeutic.
We've been dealing with layoffs and shrinking population for the past 15 yrs in our area. I've dealt with the depression of an unemployed husband several times...not a pretty sight.

Cherie, HUGS right back atcha!!

I'm not superstitious, but I DO believe these things happen in threes. Don't you just hate waiting for the 3rd?

I AM enjoying your spring through our computer monitor! I can almost smell the warm soil in your pictures. Thank you! ;)

 
At 2/28/2009 2:48 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Yes, I hate the waiting. Every time the phone rings.....you know what I mean.

Glad my spring posts help.

Enjoy wearing all those mended clothes you forgot you had. It reminds me that I hung a bunch of 'needs to be ironed' stuff in the guest closet when we had company for Thanksgiving - to get it out of sight. It's all still there! What goodies await. I shall peek in today to see if it's worth the effort. Ha!

Have a great weekend. Tshs!

 
At 2/28/2009 5:10 PM, Blogger Barb Patch and Mark Spurrier said...

I have been suffering the winter blues. But now I don't feel quite so bad!

I am sorry your year is off to such a Gawdawful start! But I trust it will get better and end up great. You deserve a great year!

gwb

btw.. the best place to dance in a sportsbar is ON THE BAR

 
At 3/01/2009 10:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about all of the bad news, Tshsmom. Quite a rough patch. I'm glad that you thought to do the sewing - what a good idea and what a relief to have it out of the way... I tend to get paralyzed-like in these situations. It always helps to do SOMETHING, doesn't it?

Take good care and here's a ((hug)).

 
At 3/01/2009 10:23 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

That wasn't Abby - it was me - Grizzly Mama.

 
At 3/02/2009 7:48 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

If they dont make it this way that is fine. I understand totally.

 
At 3/04/2009 6:30 PM, Blogger VV said...

Okay, after reading that list, I'm not going to complain about having to replace our screen door and porch light that got ripped off and destroyed in our last wind storm.

 
At 3/04/2009 9:52 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

That's horrible about your friend. I had to read the post before it to read who it was. Really sad. :(

As for everything else, it's all across the country. As for the snowmobile, don't mean to be a jerk, but Junior won't get to ride one for that very reason.

 
At 3/09/2009 11:01 PM, Blogger C said...

That's awful.

I wish you a much better rest of the year.

 
At 3/14/2009 4:20 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Tshsmom that is just too much. I hope this is all of the bad stuff for the rest of the year.

Hope that you're coping? My God, that's a pile of bad news. Hope they catch whoever hurt your friend.

Totally agree about the snowmobiling 12 year old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home