Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Snow Day

I'm writing this post while waiting for daylight. We got 18.8 inches of snow, accompanied by 35 mph winds, in the past 24 hours. Yesterday they said we would break the record for snow if we got 10 more inches. Looks like we broke that record.

Boss called last night and told me not to come in unless she calls me. We're supposed to cater a meeting today. The people attending the meeting are coming from all over the US and Canada. I have a feeling the meeting will be canceled. All of our restaurant supply trucks come from the western part of the state and have been canceled, so we'll be running a limited menu.

From what I can see by the light of our front porch light, we have a 4 ft high snowbank extending 6 ft into the mouth of our driveway from the snowplows. It's currently -6F with a -30F windchill. The forecast is calling for -25F tonight. You know you're in trouble when Jim Cantore is in your vicinity. Well...Jim is in Duluth and can't, or won't, make it any farther north....we're screwed! Our camper and BBQ grill have totally disappeared into the snow drifts. The drifts in the back yard are 6 inches higher than our 3 ft high steps. Hairry was up to his neck in snow when he went out this morning!

Warm temps the past few days have created a solid sheet of ice beneath the snow in our driveway. L got the car stuck on the ice trying to get to work yesterday. We had to hire someone to push it onto a spot where we could get traction enough to back it into the garage. It was snowing and blowing so hard that we had to blow out the driveway twice while waiting for our rescuers. The snowblower could barely blow the snow over the top of the banks surrounding our driveway. We're simply out of places to put the snow!

It will probably take us most of the day to clear the driveway. L and I will tag-team with the snowblower. One of us will blow snow until we're too snow encrusted to continue. While our snow suit and face mask are drying in the dryer, the other one will continue blowing snow. Z will be breaking apart the taller banks with the scoop shovel so the snowblower can get through.

Wish us luck!

19 Comments:

At 3/11/2009 8:20 AM, Blogger Jeannie said...

We've got some high winds - I hope the snow doesn't come our way - at least not that much! I generally expect a big March storm because we usually get one. I think last year we didn't and it put me all out of sorts - as if I weren't prepared for spring - I just kept waiting and waiting.

 
At 3/11/2009 10:53 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Yeah, good luck.

Good God, though. Our storm wasn't as bad as yours but still...this is ridiculous. It's supposed to warm up considerably by Saturday - thank God, we need some serious melting ASAP!

 
At 3/11/2009 4:03 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Wow, that's some snow. That sucks. You have all this work, ice underneath, and you lose a day's pay and the business loses the catered meal. All I can say is good luck on the shoveling.

 
At 3/12/2009 5:00 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

We just got rain thankfully and a few flurries the other night. We were suppose to get some nasty weather. It was suppose have rained all day long and then thunderstorms, then more freezing rain and then snowed but all we got thankfully is the rain.. Some drizzle but nothing more. Hope you are warming up in the house with a great cup of coffee this early morning. I am just heading to bed.

 
At 3/12/2009 7:10 AM, Blogger mister anchovy said...

that just isn't right. Make it spring now please.

 
At 3/12/2009 1:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We've been getting off relatively light this winter. We had one good snowstorm that netted about three feet of snow, and then nada. An inch here, and inch there, but nothing substantial.

Good luck!

 
At 3/12/2009 2:12 PM, Blogger VV said...

OMG. I am so sorry. Once you're able to dig out, head my way. We were at the beach this weekend, sunny and 75. Though now they're calling for snow here tonight through tomorrow morning. Given our typical precipitation, it will either be all rain or no more than an inch of snow. So when does Spring come there, July? Take pictures btw, I know it's miserable for you, but I'd love to see it. Stay warm.

 
At 3/13/2009 12:48 AM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

This has been an awful winter. I really can't wait for it to end.

 
At 3/13/2009 2:05 PM, Blogger Barb Patch and Mark Spurrier said...

It sounds truly scary. You all are in my thoughts.

We have record floods here. Your story makes me grateful all that rain wasn't snow.

 
At 3/14/2009 8:28 AM, Blogger R said...

I hope that you are all OK after all that snow! That's just crazy.
But I know what you mean about the weather channel -- they'd predicted a blizzard up here about a month ago and I said that it wouldn't be bad because they didn't send Jim Cantore. (I was right.)

 
At 3/14/2009 1:36 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Jeannie, our local legend states that there will be 3 snowstorms after the seagulls arrive. They usually arrive by March 17th, so we still have more snow coming. Uffda!

WC, I'm wondering where all this snow will go in the next 6 weeks. Hopefully we won't get a lot of April showers to add to the mess.

Squirl, they didn't cancel the meal, even though only half of the people showed up. They didn't inform us of the reduced numbers, so we had a LOT of leftover food! I hope Boss sticks to her guns and charges them for what they ordered!

Tweets, we're back to normal? life now. Enjoy your spring. Ours MAY arrive in May. ;)

Mr A, AGREED!

Courtney, wanna practice your shoveling skills? ;)

VV, we can never count on our snow being gone until May, although we have had a few 80F Aprils.

SME, what happened to your happy prediction for 2009?

Mark, I've been following your floods. I think I'd rather have the snow. ;)

--R, no offense to Jim, but I'd just as soon NOT meet him! ;)
I'm hoping that you don't have a blizzard for your wedding day.*crossing fingers*

 
At 3/14/2009 4:18 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Tshsmom that's HORRID!! Wishing you all the very best coping with the white garbage. Hope it melts very very fast. It's been freezing here during the week (we had 90 kmph winds) but it appears to be going away.

 
At 3/14/2009 6:22 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHGHHHHHHH that is a scenario I can imagine - oh, I feel for you folks.

 
At 3/15/2009 12:42 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Bridg and Gardenia! I'll soak up all the sympathy I can get. ;)

 
At 3/17/2009 9:13 AM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

I hope that's it for the snow. It will be 15 C here today. Now that is warm :-)

 
At 3/17/2009 3:11 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Got to say that visiting here makes me happy to live in Massachusetts, and not many blogs can do that for me! Our snow, as voluminous as it has seemed to us, is a mere dandruff shake of God compared to some of yours.

 
At 3/17/2009 7:36 PM, Blogger none said...

Sounds unreal! I hope you are able to dig out soon.

 
At 3/17/2009 9:46 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

Unbelievable! Stay safe, you guys.

 
At 3/18/2009 4:28 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

ZF, we got the same temps. It's nice, but sloppy.

Sully, I've always been good at setting a BAD example. ;)

Hammer, Texas sounded pretty good to me last week.

Cherie, by the end of the day we were exhausted, but safe. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home