Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.....


No, these aren't repeat photos from last year. These are pics of our Christmas blizzard. We were only supposed to get 4-7 inches....we got 14-18 inches. The day after it quit snowing, the temps dipped to -35F for 10 days. So much for the forecasters predictions that we were going to have a dry, warm, winter.

We spent the last week trying to get the snow cleared from our roofs. I wrenched my shoulder clearing the roof vents, so now L and Z are trying to get the job finished. Temps are in the teens today, but it just started to snow again. It would be nice if we could break even for once!

My parents actually expressed their appreciation for us hosting all the Christmas festivities. Wonders never cease! We're hoping that we can continue cooking all the holiday and birthday meals. We really don't want to eat ANY meals over there. Z and I recently discovered that they're starting to store items in the cupboards that should be refrigerated.

I have several customers that are in the same condition as my parents. I'm half scared to drive anymore! One customer wore his winter jacket and gloves all summer. As soon as the weather reached -30F, he started wearing a sweatshirt jacket. This man's daughter has been trying to get him in assisted living, but her hands are tied up in legalities too.

We won't have any more days off until Memorial Day. I guess that's a good thing as we can't afford time off. Last week, business was fair at the restaurant. I don't expect this to continue. We have had many noon-hours where we only serve 4 people. A couple of times, in the past few months, Boss has had to cash in stocks to make payroll. Not good!

Now our electric, garbage, fuel, and water rates are going up. I also expect food prices to rise after all the cold weather down south. I don't know about you, but I could sure use some good news for a change!

We're taking down the Christmas decorations today. Christmas was the only thing I had to look forward to. Now it's over. I guess I'll keep myself busy de-cluttering and sewing for the rest of the winter to keep depression at bay.

15 Comments:

At 1/10/2010 3:15 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Food prices where I am are RIDICULOUS, and it's still way cheaper for me to shop in the States!

We had loads of snow between Dec. 31 and Jan. 4 and now it is getting milder & we're expecting rain. I hate it when that happens.

 
At 1/10/2010 3:34 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

You're right. Rain would be my worst nightmare right now.

 
At 1/10/2010 4:18 PM, Blogger VV said...

We're expecting rain this week. Tonight is suppose to be the end of the bitter cold for our area, although I know it's nothing compared to the cold you've been experiencing. I've tried twice today to send you an e-mail. Hopefully the second time's the charm. I haven't taken my X-mas decorations down yet. It's been too cold outside to bother and we've been too busy and gone to get to the inside. I made M promise there would be no entertaining for January because I'm so busy at the law office, so of course we went out of town this weekend instead. *sigh/grin* I'll call you as soon as you give me a good day/time to do so. I hate to call and interrupt.

 
At 1/10/2010 8:15 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Deep breath...count to ten...and trudge on. That's my mantra for right now. It's all about finding the good nuggets in the daily grind. Hope this year will be a good one for you and yours.

 
At 1/10/2010 8:44 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

VV, I get home from work around 1:30 p.m. After that I just trudge through the daily chore. A phone call from you would be a welcome interruption.

Shawn, me love!! Where the hell have you been?

It seems like that mantra has been mine for my whole life. Those nuggets are becoming elusive. I guess we'll just have to help each other through this year.

 
At 1/11/2010 8:38 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I think 2009 was the "lost" year, all around. 2010 will be better, I hope.

I think we can all take a lesson from Shawn here... "finding the good nuggets in the daily grind." Easier said than done... but it needs to be done.

 
At 1/11/2010 10:48 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

I cant believe hamburger for five pound chubs are like 12.00 dollars here...Its ridiculous..We got like another 4-8 on Thursday.. But that is all for now.. Thankfully...

 
At 1/12/2010 3:04 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

I know what you mean about needing some good news right about now. Hard to hold one's breath and take deep breaths at the same time.

De-cluttering and cleaning helps me keep my head above water, too. Like I'm getting something done, have a little bit of control, and it feels good, too.

I hope good news comes your way soon!

I finally responded to the Circle of Friends Award over on my blog. :D

 
At 1/12/2010 7:04 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Wow - its cold here - the snow is beautiful - but it looks like it would literally HURT - surrounded by frozen stuff.

I had to stifle a sardonic laugh when my letter arrived stating that there would be no raise on our huge (hahah) social security checks this year because the cost of living has not increased. WHAT? Now, I know politics consists mosty of lies - but this one is just stupifing!

Still, I think 2010 will be a better year if we can eat a lot of beans and try not to get made at all the crap "they" are trying to feed us. Grrr. Ok, happpy everybody?

"H" said lots of business at grocery store during hoidays - now down to "dead" again....

 
At 1/14/2010 1:02 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Yikes. This recession really sucks as even those with jobs are hurting. Prices for basics go up while nobody gets raises and small business don't increase business. Not a winning formula at all.

As for the cold, wow. Just wow. That's brutally cold. I remember -5 how painfully cold that is. Can't imagine colder than that.

 
At 1/16/2010 12:05 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Laura, lost is the perfect word for '09! Here's to finding something worthwhile in '10!

Tweets, that's not a bad price for burger. Here, the regular price is $3.49. That's why I use turkey burger, at $1.99/lb in all my hotdishes.

Cherie, LOL! I find that I hold my breath a LOT lately, especially when the phone rings.

That's EXACTLY how de-cluttering makes me feel too! I can see what I accomplished for a change.

Gardenia, we got a respite from the weather this week with temps in the +30s. What a relief!

Your SS letter is like the politicians saying the recession is ending...BUT there won't be any jobs for the next few years. I wonder if they believe the shit they're spreading?

ZS, and to add insult to injury, our lovely Governor has cut just about all the programs for destitute people. I don't know how those people will survive the winter. :(

Cold weather is the perfect time to play board games. Wanna come for a visit? ;p

 
At 1/19/2010 6:43 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Reverse Robin Hood, our government - rob the poor, give to the rich. Surely they don't think people are believing the crap they are dishing out to us!

 
At 1/20/2010 6:13 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Gardenia, I honestly think that they believe we're all under their spell. I hope they get a wake-up call real fast!

 
At 1/21/2010 3:27 PM, Blogger VV said...

Still trying to get to that afternoon phone call with you. I've been hauling ass on answers to appeal briefs that are due by next Thursday, plus handling a mess of new clients and preparing for the semester to start on Tuesday, getting syllabi, assignments, etc. done, which all have to be new so the buggers don't cheat off last semester's students. I do have high hopes for a phone call for the end of next week. We'll see. :-)

 
At 1/24/2010 10:38 AM, Blogger tshsmom said...

VV, why does life keep interfering with our fun?! It's the same situation here. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home