Sunday, April 09, 2006

I'm Still Here

I'm writing my 114th post, on the 1st day, of my 2nd year of blogging. What an interesting year this has been!

I'd wanted to start a website ever since Z was diagnosed with TS. I desperately wanted to talk to other people who are dealing with TS. I also wanted to help educate the public about TS. There's a LOT of misinformation and sensationalizing in the media about Tourette's Syndrome. I feel it's the responsibility of those of us affected by this disorder, to get the word out about what it's REALLY like to struggle with an overactive brain.

I checked out free web pages and found that they were too complicated. I didn't have time to learn how to produce a decent looking web site. THEN, my daughter discovered Blogger! She started her blog in January 2005. I lurked around for several months and finally decided that I needed a blogger identity. While setting up my identity, I discovered that it's just as easy to set up a blog.

I met my first blog friend, Wandering Coyote, on my daughter's blog. From WC's blog, I met Great White Bear. The rest of my first blog friends were discovered through GWB's blog troll, Logic Monkey, who has since converted his blog to an ad for long-distance phone cards. While arguing with Logic Monkey, I met Laura, Zydeco Fish, Squirl, Shawn and several others who have now quit blogging. Logic Monkey's only defender, Sam Woods, started his own blog (Underground Logician). While reading UL, I discovered the Zombieslayer. Through ZS, I met Bridget Jones, Notta Wallflower, Sadie, Vest, and many others.

I met my greatest mentor in understanding TS, Sagepaper, through a TS link. Our family will be forever grateful to Sage, for all her insight! My homeschooling buddy, Grizzly Mama, has been a great source of moral support.

In recent months several of my favorite bloggers have quit blogging. But, I have also made several new blog friends: Vancouver Voyeur, Candace(another homeschooler), Davey, and Faltenin. I guess that blogging reflects the great circle of life in some ways.

TS and homeschooling were my original missions when I started blogging. I'm happy to report that it has developed into way more than that. I have learned so much from all of you. I've developed a few lasting friendships; we can NEVER have too many friends. I routinely chat with people around the world. What a fabulous experience this has been. THANK YOU, MY FRIENDS!!

26 Comments:

At 4/09/2006 8:39 AM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Ah, what a lovely post, tshsmom!

I am so honoured to be your first blog friend! Isn't it amazing whom we "meet" through doing this, how the circles widen and come together again? It's fascinating.

I am also so grateful for my blogging community. It has bouyed me through much, as I'm sure you know. And it's been such an enriching thing for your entire family - look at you, you ALL blog now! That is so cool.

 
At 4/09/2006 9:07 AM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Blogging has been interesting for me too. I didn't start mine with a specific purpose, but it's been good to connect with you and several others. I think that, no matter what the purpose of a person's blog, it helps to have different perspectives - what a great way to get AND give information. :-)

 
At 4/09/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

It's appropriate that you got firsties on this post WC!

Notta, different perspectives have been the best part of this experience.

 
At 4/09/2006 3:53 PM, Blogger JR said...

So glad you started and are still blogging. Blogging, like friendship and like disseminating information, is like tossing a pebble in a pond, you have no idea how far the ripples will reach, who or when. I've learned so much about TS from your site and though I don't know anyone with this disorder, it has opened my eyes, mind and heart to those suffering with it. Whenever or wherever in my life I first encounter someone with this disorder or dealing with it via a family member, I will behave differently armed with the knowledge I have gained from you. I might be of some help to one uninformed, or I might be a compassionate shoulder and good listener, because you have already laid the groundwork for my understanding. Thank you, and keep on blogging! :-)

 
At 4/09/2006 5:09 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

That was BEAUTIFUL, VV! Thank you my friend. ;)

 
At 4/09/2006 6:16 PM, Blogger Vest said...

I feel blessed to be worthy of your praise nice lady.

 
At 4/09/2006 6:17 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Bridg, between our two families I think we've got all the major brain disorders covered. The way we obsessively research these conditions, makes me think that maybe we should start our own counseling center. ;)
One thing I know FOR SURE, Bridg; we'll ALWAYS be there for each other! With all we have in common, it would be a SIN to lose track of each other.
BTW, I'm just starting my second year. We've both been blogging about the same amount of time.

 
At 4/09/2006 6:19 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

You're blessed in MANY ways Vest!

 
At 4/09/2006 11:34 PM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Well Holy Crapamoly - Happy Blogaversary!!!

You have a great blog - I enjoy visiting often. You have been a great support to me too and I appreciate it.

Keep on going!

 
At 4/10/2006 1:25 AM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

Happy blogaversary!
It's so much more than you expected, isn't it?

 
At 4/10/2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Faltenin said...

(((Hugs)))

 
At 4/10/2006 10:44 AM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

Congratulations! It's been a gas visiting here... hope to be doin it for many more years! It has been so much fun meeting new people through the comments on your blogs and others, it feels like we've turned the 6 degtees of seperation into five!

keep up all the good work!

 
At 4/10/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger flea said...

congrats ~ and happy blogger-versary~

this is my first time commenting here (i have stopped by once or twice before) and i'm a loyal reader of WC's and bridg's blogs

 
At 4/10/2006 6:15 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Monica, there's nothing better than a little mutual admiration society, is there?

Yup, and I owe it ALL to you SME! Did you mail that money order?

Fal, (((tux))) ;)

GWB, you'd better not quit either!

Thanks Flea! You're no stranger to me either.

 
At 4/11/2006 9:15 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Isn't it great all the people you meet? well, "meet". I never thought anyone but those I already knew would read my blathering. It's funny how you shift your focus too, after you learn you have an audience. It's such a great experience. It would be interesting to do a "blog tree" to see where we're all connected...

 
At 4/11/2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

It's been a great experience, that's for sure. I'm just so happy to have met so many different people through the blogging thing.

It's always a pleasure to see your comments and to read what you have to say. I hope you stay with this for a long, long time.

Happy Tuesday.

 
At 4/11/2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Happy blog anniversary! I'm sorry that I've had trouble getting internet while on vacation.

I'm so glad that I got to meet you through the blogs. There are a lot of really great people out here.

I only started mine because my sister and brother were blogging. But it really has been a fantastic experience for me.

I'm glad that it has been for you, too. I hope you keep blogging for a looooong time. Thank you!

 
At 4/11/2006 8:25 PM, Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

What's (((tux)))? I don't get it!

 
At 4/11/2006 9:29 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Inside joke; read his blog!

 
At 4/11/2006 9:32 PM, Blogger Sadie Lou said...

I'm so glad we met! I'm sad about a few of my blogging buddies that have since thrown in the towel but I always seem to find new buddies.
Here's to a lasting blog-friendship!

 
At 4/12/2006 2:28 AM, Blogger Drew said...

Of course then there is that crazy guy who is out there telling everyone the TRUTH about the Quixtar dream....errr..nighmare. I have enjoyed reading your blog, I have learned quite a bit about a subject I did not have much knowledge of. So in those terms of educating the public your mission is getting accomplished.

 
At 4/13/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Thanks Sadie and Squirl! I'm sooo glad we met!

Keep up the fight Truth!

 
At 4/14/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Davey said...

You are so welcome by the way you owe me $450 for my posts so far ;)
Thank you for your continued posts on my site. And most of all for opening my eyes to rule #1 it has served me well.
Davey

 
At 4/14/2006 2:35 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Davey, is that US or Canadian funds? ;)

 
At 4/15/2006 11:00 PM, Blogger C said...

I love meeting other hsers. :-) I always feel right at home with them. Happy Blogaversary! :-)

 
At 4/16/2006 1:51 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Me too Candace, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home