Sunday, May 20, 2007

Lethargy

We all survived the Boss' week of vacation....barely!

We were horrendously busy on Friday and Saturday. Normally this is an event to rejoice. Operating on a skeleton crew made these days a nightmare! The dishwasher that we're trying to train as a waitress is not working out AT ALL. The only 3 work applications we've received have been from a child-molester, a druggie, and someone who is currently awaiting the results of 2 Workmen's Comp lawsuits. Thank you for applying....NEXT!

Last summer, Z worked my Saturdays with me: clearing tables, pouring coffee, and go-ferring for Boss and I. Z wanted to start working again yesterday. I wasn't sure that we'd need him. I am SO GLAD that he insisted on working!! He saved my work weary butt! I'm so proud of the way he dived right in, without having to retrain him! Last summer Z suffered from anxiety related nausea on the Saturdays he worked with me. He always required a couple of Rolaids and a can of 7up to calm his stomach. Yesterday? No problem! Z is making great strides in controlling his OCD related anxieties! The only problem he had was sleeping Friday night. Anxiety kept him from sleeping more than 2 hours all night. Hopefully, this too shall pass.

The stress and extended hours of the past week took its toll on us yesterday afternoon. We ALL fell asleep late in the afternoon. We all woke around 8p.m. and wandered around in a fog, wondering where the day had gone. We scrounged the fridge for leftovers and were back in bed by 11p.m.

Today we MUST accomplish SOMETHING!! We're going to the Twin Cities next weekend, so we only have this week to catch up on our chores.

Our lawn desperately needs mowing, but it's SNOWING this morning! Our poor hummingbirds are dive-bombing the huge flakes. This is both comical and sad. I hope they're able to survive this cold spell. I hope all the nesting birds will be able to keep their babies from freezing!

16 Comments:

At 5/20/2007 10:54 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Snow? Wow, that really sucks at this time of year. Good luck to the birds and plants.

That's great to hear that Z did so well. Sounds like you really needed it. I hope you have the energy to get stuff done before next weekend.

 
At 5/20/2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

Good thing you survived! Strange that there aren't more people wanting work.

 
At 5/20/2007 2:19 PM, Blogger Gardenia said...

Rest. Don't worry about the lawn - it'll be there. What a week!

Good employees are hard to find anymore!

It's been steady around 80-85 here in the daytime. No humming birds yet. Take care of yourself!

Go Z! Good job! I know your mamma is proud and you saved her more exhaustion!

 
At 5/20/2007 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You'd better keep that snow! We were finally having some nice, warm weather, then it got cold and rainy! Blech!

 
At 5/20/2007 8:58 PM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

SNOW Yikes. Yes it keep it there. I dont want any more snow here.

Jeannie I am from where Tshsmom lives and there is no one at a suitable age to work really there anymore. No one wants to travel the six miles out to work. The town is dying slowly.

Tshsmom hope your week goes better than J's has. WE have had a few scares this week. Have fun in the Cities.

 
At 5/21/2007 12:45 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Dang, girl. Tough week. Get some rest and what a Godsend Z was.

 
At 5/21/2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

Since everyone else was shocked by the snow...I'm gonna go with a comment about the great application pool you've got going up there. Not too promising I must say!

Hope you have a great week and get a little bit of relaxing in some time this decade. :o)

 
At 5/21/2007 12:55 PM, Blogger Wandering Coyote said...

Sounds like Z is making huge strides - AWESOME!

If I were close, I'd come and help you out for sure. Sounds like there's just an outright shortage of decent workers where you are. Imagine a child molester showing up! God! I hope you find someone decent soon.

 
At 5/21/2007 2:06 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Squirl, it cleared off and warmed up to 57F in the afternoon. That helped.

Jeannie, we're looking for an adult, who can work the morning shift when the kids go back to school next fall. Our local Employment Office says that our available workforce of people with "soft skills" is practically nil. Soft skills include bathing, showing up for work, and being able to read and add.

Gardenia, L did manage to mow the lawn, and I got the laundry done. Not bad for two tired old farts. ;)

Courtney, we'll keep the snow if you send us some of your rain. ;)

Tweets, it's only 2 miles from town. I wish J luck with his job search!

Monica, it's great having a strapping 15 yr old "slave"! ;)

Shawn, unfortunately there aren't any decent jobs available up here to keep our young people in town. They're gone as soon as they graduate. :(
We're hoping that we'll be able to relax a bit this weekend.

WC, he's starting to overcome his toilet flushing phobia, and getting a lot better about his weather obsession. I hate to get too excited though. I'm sure some new obsessions will be coming up.

We could've used you today!! In my spare time, I had to make 10 dozen chocolate chip cookies, and a custard pie.

 
At 5/21/2007 6:20 PM, Blogger Cherie said...

I agree with WC, great for Z! AND I'd come and help if I could. What fun we would have!

Hope you are rested up some.

Loved the snowflake dive-bombing hummers! Funny!

 
At 5/22/2007 6:55 AM, Blogger tweetey30 said...

Alright two miles out but the town is still dying slowly. LOL.... I am glad J and I left when we did. I miss my friends but here is more money. He filled out his job application last night on line. Hopefully they will call him in the next couple of days. Pomps is getting really nasty with him. I will e-mail you later with some other information.

 
At 5/22/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Snowing???

 
At 5/22/2007 2:52 PM, Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Your week sounds worse than mine. I have not had the motivation to do anything, much less blog. Snowing? Ack!!!

 
At 5/22/2007 6:15 PM, Blogger zydeco fish said...

I can't believe it snowed there. That's freaky. Sounds like you had a crazy week.

 
At 5/22/2007 7:28 PM, Blogger tshsmom said...

Cherie, we'd have a BALL!
I love that you call them hummers too! Ours are extremely militant! My Dad always says that if our hummers weighed a pound, they'd rule the world. ;)

Tweets, at least J has jobs to apply for where you are. That's a BIG plus!

DC, July is the only month it has never snowed here.

Notta, you're pregnant. Don't expect motivation until the "nesting" phase sets in. ;)

ZF, it's 82F today. CRAZY weather! :(

 
At 5/25/2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Am sending you lots of our heat, Tshsmom! Poor hummingbirds, hope they and the other little ones are ok, and that YOU survive it too.

Man what a work-out you all had. Glad that Z's doing you proud.
((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home